Is it possible to do ethernet over TV coax cable?

snowkit

Standard Member
Reaction score
I don't know you what you call it exactly but I have in rooms over my house, these sockets in the wall plate. I think there RF sockets. It basically says RF/Radio and I plug an aerial from a freeview tuner built into the TV into this socket. Anywhere is this RF a coax cable in the wall? and can I run ethernet over this coax?

Any help much appreciated

Many thanks in advance

You would need some electronics at each end for such a setup to work , these are available in the US , but I dont see any available over here , probably something to do with possible interference with TV signals.

Amazon.com: D-Link DXN-221 MoCa Coax Ethernet Adapter Kit: Electronics

Anyway , they are not cheap , and there are other ways to get ethernet around the home for less money.
Have you considered homeplugs ?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You would need some electronics at each end for such a setup to work , these are available in the US , but I dont see any available over here , probably something to do with possible interference with TV signals.

Amazon.com: D-Link DXN-221 MoCa Coax Ethernet Adapter Kit: Electronics

Anyway , they are not cheap , and there are other ways to get ethernet around the home for less money.
Have you considered homeplugs ?

Many thanks for your reply,

I have a pair of develo av 200 mbps compact homeplugs, they are rated at 200 mbps but in the real world I get around 60-84 mbps. As you probably know, homeplugs work by sending internet over the electrical circuit of your home. But in my home I have 2 different electrical circuits. So with a homeplug connected to the mains in the room where I have my computer and then the ethernet end is connected to my router through to my PC which is in this same room. Then I can use the other homeplug in some rooms upstairs and downstairs. But then the homeplug does not work in my TV room downstairs. As it seems the mains sockets are on another circuit. Now just outside this TV room in another room the homeplug works amazing. I wonder if you can tell me, can I plug another homeplug in the wall in this room and then plug the ethernet end of the homeplug into a 802.11n wireless router and use it as a bridge to send wifi signals to any wifi connected device in my TV room?

The second question, if we go back to the ethernet over coax, it was my understanding from what I read. That you buy just 1 ethernet to coax networking bridge and you connect that to your router where your PC is and then a coax cable into the bridge and into the TV wall plate. Then your entire houses coax cabling is converted into ethernet. Then all you need is a coax to ethernet cable for each room where you want to connect a computer to the TV socket. Then from what I read now it seems that you need another ethernet to coax network bridge for each room that you want to use your computer with the coax TV socket. Is that correct? If this is, then it's going to be very expensive to do as pretty much the same as using homeplugs. Well the only thing about ethernet over coax is that you can get speeds of using an ethernet cable. Not 1GBPS speeds with a gigabit router as the coax cabling in your home doesn't have enough bandwidth like ethernet. But you will get at least a minimum of 100 mbps sustained over coax which is much better than the real world speeds of homeplugs. And especially useful for streaming around the house 1080p videos.

a quick last question, as the homeplug does not work in my TV room because it's on another electrical circuit. Is there a chance that the ethernet over coax will carry from the networking bridge in the room where my PC/router is and so it does not matter whether my TV room is not on the same electrical circuit. Is there a chance that the coax cabling is all inter connected unlike the electrical circuit in my house, and so it should work right?

If you can offer me some answers to my questions that would be really useful.

Any help much appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hello snowkit

I have a similar problem here re HomePlug – our house has an extension/granny flat that has its own fuse box/meter and HomePlug wont jump from one zone to the other.

I have a few HomePlug around the main part of the house and achieve between 60 and 84mbs depending on where I place the HomePlug.

We’ve been asked to look at an Ethernet over Coax solution by one of the manufacturers we work with and now have a pile of kit on the way for testing – it may be a couple of weeks yet before we can offer any feedback but happy to let you know how we get on.

Joe

Hello snowkit

I have a similar problem here re HomePlug – our house has an extension/granny flat that has its own fuse box/meter and HomePlug wont jump from one zone to the other.

I have a few HomePlug around the main part of the house and achieve between 60 and 84mbs depending on where I place the HomePlug.

We’ve been asked to look at an Ethernet over Coax solution by one of the manufacturers we work with and now have a pile of kit on the way for testing – it may be a couple of weeks yet before we can offer any feedback but happy to let you know how we get on.

Joe

Many thanks for your reply

Thanks, it will be great if you can tell me how your setup works when your ready. It seems this ethernet over coax to be the ultimate solution. Are you in the UK? From a load of google UK searches and googles products I just cannot find any of these ethernet over coax devices in the UK, the US have been making them as far back as 5 years ago. They just don't seem popular here. I wonder why? Where are you getting yours from and what make?

Many thanks in advance

Hello snowkit

Yes were in the UK.

One of the manufacturers whose HDMI products we distribute in the UK/Europe has a range of Ethernet over Coax solutions under a different brand name and were looking at the viability of bringing the range to the UK and Europe.

Joe

Issue with ethernet over coax is that you might well have massive interference issues. If there is an aerial connected, this will re-broadcast the signal from your roof top. Not ideal...

Radio Hams hate ethernet over mains boxes for the same reason. It causes all sorts of interference issues.

TBH, you will be lucky to find a single HD that will sustain above 30MB/S anyway. The burst of 480 - 3.6 GB/S is just that, a short burst when the head does not need to move and is in the right place to read the track. For HD video editing, I use a Raid array of 4 - 16 drives on a fibre connection. This will allow 4 streams of HD @ 25Mb/s... On a good day !

For streaming 1080P videos compressed with H264 or Mpeg 4 or similar, 10-12Mb/s is probably all you need.

Luckily I have lots of coax in the house, so I can dedicate it to ethernet and it won't be connected to aerials etc. Hence my interest. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom