1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to customise standalone dvd players?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nabs, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Nabs

Feb 5, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Not sure if this would be better here or in the pc entertainmetn section.

One of my old gen dvd players has started to malfunction, old pio - porbably due to a worn out laser. On wondering what to do I thought it probably would be fun to modify the unit, afterall dvd players and writers are very cheap these days (as I know new dvd players are too - but buying one oneself is not flexibile).

Just as one can by a pc case, select own parts and units and build themselves a pc - why cannot the same be done with a standalone player - you could convert it (or customise a case) into a recorder as well as a player, alter connections (hdmi - vga etc by buying plug-in boards akin to the way one uses AGP, PCI/express), add harddrive at you leisure even add scalers or wireless control. I suppose the key would be a. the software to run on startup, and b. having suitable,adaptable modules, sockets and suitable boards.

Maybe it is simply an instant pipe dream and I am no electrical engineer but is this such a wild idea?

Anyone already done such?