Question Is it possible to convert DP/DP to HDMI/HDMI?

VinnyG

Novice Member
I was looking on amazon for a 5m HDMI Cable (which could support 4k). I was finding it very difficult to find many that did this. Unknowingly I bought two Display Port Cables thinking that they were HDMI (blinded by advertisements of 4K and 5m long and good Hz rates). They aesthetically looked like HDMI cables. I was never even aware that DP Cables existed and so I never thought twice before having them channeled into my wall. Now I have put my tv on the wall and tried connecting the cables only to find that it wont fit.

I have seen on the internet that you can get adaptors to changes a dp into a hdmi but I was wondering is it possible to place one on each end to convert it into a HDMI cable. Just so I dont have to take my wallpaper off and re channel new cables into th wall.

Any information or insight would be much appreciated.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You may have to use a DP (Female) to DP (Female) adapter then add a DP (Male) to HDMI (Male) cable as full size DP (Female) to HDMI (Male) cables are not easy to Source (if anyone actually produces one - there may a licensing issue with that configuration).

Hopefully you can make it work with 'passive' cables/adapters and not have to add in active converters - as that can get expensive.

Joe

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Hmm...
The reason that HDMI male to DP Female adapters don't really exist is that you cannot connect an HDMI source into a DP input. It works the other way around, so DP - HDMI cables exist, but not really the converters.

You would not be able to use an active device at each end - as they are directional, but I think Joe has it correct that DP F-F and a DP - HDMI cable is the way forward. It won't be 4K rated or certified, but keep them short and it could (should!) work!

Top Bottom