Is it possible to convert component RGB to RGB Scart?

A

arnthelene

Hello!

I have a Pioneer DV-656A-K DVD-player. I want to connect it to my Philps 32" 8717 widescreen TV to achive the best possible picture quality.

I wonder if it is possible to use the component output (Red, Green and Blue) on the DVD-player to connect to RGB-scart on the telly? Is it possible to buy an adapter or an interconnect which can make it possible?

It is possible that the questions are stupid.

(crappy english)

Best regards,

Arnt
Norway

yes.. and I have such a convertor..

You need a Component to RGB convertor which u can buy from lektropacks/keane electronics on the web..not cheap though..

unbranded one about £120 .. branded one £200 though may be cheaper now

Heres a link to the one I have

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/group4/fc12epic.html

If you need to get one take mine for £50.. boxed and complete I'll even chuck in some phono 2 BNC connectors :)

I bought it for using my import Gamecube with a component cable on my PAL TV.. but its no longer needed.

Anyhow.. good luck

Matt

The PQ wont be better just because YUV out used on the Pinoneer 656A (assuming the same DAC used for the scart and the component output, not differenent as with the Philps 963SA).

Signal flow in the TV

RGB in -> YUV conversion Matrix -> 100 Hz digital processing( A/D D/A)-> RGB conversion matrix -> CRT

Theoretically YUV -> RGB converison ( or reverse) is lossless but if it is done with analogue circuits there is always some noise or something else which disturbs the signal a bit.

So you may get better PQ only if your display has YUV inputs.
You may have better PQ with the external converters only if it is much higher quality than the built-in in the DVD player, since the data on the DVD is always in YUV format so it reaches the YUV output "earlier" then the scart.

It would be quicker and easier to use an RGB only scart to connect via DVD and TV, as said before the less conversion the better.

By using RGB wired only you should get less noise from the other wires but you won't get any sound to the TV unless it is connected some other way.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom