Is it possible to convert 100v output power amp to 8ohm output

P

peterobo

Hi, Ive a pair of Inter-M PA 9336 100v line power amps and wanted to convert them if possible to a more usable 4 or 8 ohm stereo output to drive my bi wireable speakers. I've been told that it could be a bridged stereo amp with the 100v line transformer just needing disconnecting, but in reality it dosen't look as easy as that as I don't seem to be able to identify exactly which wires are the possible stereo input/output and to seperate the channels. Any help would be appreciated, Pete.

You can drive 4-ohm speakers directly from the 31V OP according to the manual on the Inter-M web site.

Hi dave,

The connections on the rear are as follows:

COM

38v 4ohm output

A 70v 13.6ohm output

B 100v 27.8ohm output

If I use the 4ohm output at 8ohm would the voltage be safe for my Hi-Fi speakers. also do you have any idea if this can be converted to have stereo input and outputs.

Thanks for the reply, Pete.

Using 8 ohm speakers would be OK - but you'll only get about 50% of the power output you'd get into 4 ohms (unless you use two 8ohm in parallel).

Looking at the block diagram on the Inter-M web site it is clear that this is a mono amp, not a bridged stereo one:

http://www.inter-m.net/files/diagrams/PA-9336.pdf

Thanks very much for all your help, I'll go and try it then and use one amp for each side. Shame though as my speakers are biwirable. Maybe I should sell them and by a nice 4ch av amp.
Thanks again Dave, Pete.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom