Is it possible to connect BenQ 3220U to my laptop's usb-c port

debt collector

Before purchasing my monitor I asked BenQ if it's possible to connect the BenQ 3220U Thunderbolt 3 monitor to my laptop's usb-c port. They confirmed that it is possible but they didn't specify what cable I should use. I tried to connect my Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 using a usb-c cable to the thunderbolt 3 port in the monitor but the PD3220U says: no signal detected although I can see that the laptop is being charged

Has anyone here managed to connect a laptop to the PD32290U using a usb-c cable? If so, could you let me know what you did to make it work?

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It looks like the Latitude 7400 may have a Thunderbolt 3 port rather than a plain USB one - does yours have a lightning bolt icon next to it?

If that's the case then it looks like a USB-C cable should work so perhaps try a different one, especially a shorter or higher quality one if you have them.

I guess you've checked to see whether the screen is showing up on the laptop and have set it to extend or duplicate mode? Windows 10 will allow you to disable the output to a monitors, although I'd expect a monitor not previously connected to default to on.

debt collector

You’re right, my laptop has Thunderbolt 3 ports rather than USB. It is my work laptop so I never noticed it, excuse the newbie error.

I connected the said laptop to the monitor with a short thunderbolt 3 cable and it worked. Yay!
My Microsoft Surface Book also works with the Thunderbolt cable when connected via the usc-c port.

If I want to check that the connection will work with my usb-c tablet also, what usb-c cable that is shorter and better quality would you recommend?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom