Is it possible to connect a PC to Sky HD box?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Junglist, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Junglist

Junglist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Might be a stupid question (but u never know til u ask:rolleyes:)

Is it possible? I have only 5% left on my Sky HD hard drive and was wanting to keep some of the recordings for future viewing. So wanted to make a back-up of these onto my pc.

I know I can install a bigger hard drive but not really the techy-type so dont want to risk it.

I have a DVD recorder but would like to keep the original HD PQ of the programmes so dont want to copy them onto there.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Shak

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Not without spending serious money on very high end hardware.
    The HD captures you see on the internet are made by people (mostly in the US) who have PC's equipped with legal ways to view their broadcast HD, this can be done for SKY HD it's just more complex since SKY don't support this directly.

3. Junglist

Junglist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Ok...Thanks for that.
    So looks like i'll have to watch and delete :(

Is there any other option available?

4. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Was looking into this too (as what with recording all six Star Wars movies I'm down to precious little left too :) and the $249 HDMI capture card from Blackmagic looks interesting but I guess as this article says it won't be long before their HDCP decription keys get revoked if it really can do what it says.

http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=34318

alternative if that did happen is to still get one but buy a component+audio to HDMI adaptor as that could be hooked up to the component outs from the SkyHD box and still allow recording of SkyHD output?

As an interim anyone know of a cheap 576p component capture card as this would surely be better than the recordings I do now via the scart socket to my DVD recorder which being on single layer recording means I have to select 2hr per DVD compression to get anything decent recorded :( I recorded the hogfather onto one 4hr compression DVD (4hr compression per DVD as setting is one I use to use all the time prior to SkyHD) and playing it back the HD letters in the SkyOneHD logo are only just readable. I use to be happy with watching DVD recordings as this compression so its amazing how quickly you get used to HD as playing back anything recorded onto DVD using any compression beyond 1hr per DVD looks pants now :(

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The problem is with either component or HDMI capture is having a PC that can actually record the uncompessed video data or encode it in realtime while retaining the HD picture quality without dropped frams or audio sync issues.
    It's one thing to write the broadcast bitstream directly to the hard drive as SKY+ HD does it's another thing to record the actual uncompressed video:)

While not promoting piracy is there any real difference between copying programmes onto DVD (from a PAY service you pay for) or just downloading the captures other people have done?
    Hogfather for example is on the net in HD.

6. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Indeed.

For the latter I live to far away from Exchange to get anything more than 3mbs so never looked into it plus I am personally not looking for long term storage as any film I want to keep I normally buy on DVD. Guess that would become HD-DVD in time :)

As to the former I used to use the DVD recorder in that I'd record stuff off the std Sky box onto around 10 DVD+RW's I hadn't got a chance to watch and then once watched free it up so as to return space on each DVD+RW for recording more stuff.

Been using the Sky+ feature for the past few weeks since getting SkyHD and watching and deleting stuff as I go along i.e. much how I did with the cycling around the DVD+RW's. However amount of movies over Xmas meant time to actually watch them outstrips available capacity of SkyHD HDD so either I copy them onto DVD to watch later and only in SD'o-vison or I wait until they are reshown which isn't easy to spot with the EPG :(

160GB is just not enough HDD space for SkyHD :)

7. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Dont know about the SKY HD box but i changed the hard drive on my SKY + very easy. Was just the IDE connector and 4 pin power same as PC for those who have worked inside a PC.

Hold the left and right arrows on the front panel apply the power lead and wait for the green ring to light up then let go and press select button. If the drive is formatted properly the green play button will light up if not the red record sign will come up. Got it working first go.

Am guessing the Sky HD uses a SATA connection. Which is even easier to work with.

I would suggest changing it just look how the current disk in there is connected up and just copy it. You can pick up a Western Digital 500gb for about £120 inc VAT. :)