Is it possible to buy a DVD Recorder which supports DVD-Audio and/or SACD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bradavon78, Jan 19, 2005.

1. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    * Preferably from a decent make.
    * Divx/Xvid support would be the icing on the cake but it's not essential
    * I'd prefer it to support both DVD-Audio and SACD but either is worth considering
    * I'd prefer it to support both plus and minus recording formats but either is worth considering
    * Ideally it would have two scarts
    * Ideally it would support RGB loop-through.

Thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Have a look at here.

3. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    From that link; very good info!

"WHAT DVD RECORDERS OFFER THE BEST RECORDING PICTURE QUALITY?
    This will always be a subjective issue and thus it is highly recommended you trial a unit to ensure it meets your personnel standards. However there are a number of factors which effect a unit's ability to provide higher picture quality and we'll look at these in turn.

The first is recording resolution. When recording in the higher quality modes (e.g. 1 hour of recording to fill a disc) DVD recorders record using a resolution of 720/704 x 576. This can give a stunning picture but means that a DVDR fills up fairly quickly. Thus to save space so longer recordings can be archived on one disc a DVD recorder will drop to a lower resolution of 352 x 576/288. The callibre of a DVD recorder recording picture quality is at what stage in the recording this occurs. Naturally it depends upon the brand:
    - LG upto 4 hours
    - Panasonic and Thompson upto 3 hours
    - Samsung and Philips 2 hours 30mins
    - Pioneer and Toshiba around 2 hours 20mins
    - Sony 2 hours or less Clearly then LG, Panasonic and Thompson are in the lead with regard to picture quality although this will depend upon the length of recordings you foresee yourself making.

The second issue which effects picture quality is the connections offered by the unit. To record the best possible picture quality in a recording you need to ensure you are recording the best possible signal. For Sky, Freeview or Cable recording this invariably means your recorder needs RGB input. Most DVD recorders do have this these days - the ones who don't are JVC, LG and cheaper, lesser known brands.

WHAT DVD RECORDERS OFFER THE BEST DVD PLAYBACK?
    As with DVD recording this is somewhat subjective. No website is any substitute for seeing a unit in action. However it is worth noting that in general DVD recorders make only very average DVD players. A good general rule is that if you halve the cost of the DVD recorder, that is the level of player you are getting. For mid to upper end users there is no substitute for having a dedicated standalone DVD player!

In general terms Sony models, with their 12 Bit DAC, tend to have the edge on DVD playback - certainly if your more interested in playing than recording the Sony range is an excellent place to start. Toshiba and Panasonic are also reasonable players although neither match the callibre of the dedicated mid range DVD players released by each firm. For those projector, plasma and LCD users with HDMI connections then the Pioneer DVR920 is a worthy choice. Although again note that even via HDMI the 920 cannot match cheaper HDMI players such as the Arcam DV79 or Denon 3910. "

Thanks Rasczak

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Glad it's helpful - it will be re-worked in the next few days to add more info to help potential buyers!

5. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks Rasczak

That sucks. It really, really annoys me no DVD Player exists that can do the lot. With most or at least some of:

1. DVD-A/SACD
    2. DVD Recorder
    3. HDD
    4. Divx/Xvid

I don't mind it costing the earth.

I can already play DVD-A and if I bought a new DVD player it would've have to support SACD too. I guess I'll have to buy 2 players :mad:

p.s - I always thought the bit-rate was lowered when fitting more on home DVD recorders. It would seem more logical than lowering the resolution, especially as it does it during rercording.

How can an LG player record at 720/704 x 576 for 4 hours? I'm confused.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The amount of data used per second (the datarate) is reduced as the recording length is increased. The datarate is effected by bitrate and resolution. Thus the bitrate IS lowered the longer the recording, however the resolution is also switched from full to half as that also reduces the amount of data required. Clear?

Because it's MPEG encoder is more efficient than the competition. The new Panasonic models (starting with the ES10 in March) will also record upto 4hrs at full resolution.

Your better off with seperates anyway - a decent DVD player and decent DVD recorder is the way forward IMHO.

7. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Yes thanks.

It's clear now as the data-rate etc . . . is also reduced. I thought these weren't reduced so clearly then at that resolution 4 hours wouldn't fit.

While I agree. That's not practical IMO.

Unless one was cheap (and therefore defeating the purpose) I'd not want two players. I do own a DVD player AND VCR though.

8. agneepath

agneepath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I plan to buy a Panasonic E-85 but still intend to keep and use my Pan. S-75 which i bought 2 years ago.

Why?

The E-85 only plays DVD-audio in 2 channels - which is completely pointless!

Theres plenty of excellent but cheap DVD player s on the market:
    the Pioneer DV575AS can play DVD-Audio / SACD / DivX and only costs £127.95!! (multiregion too)

9. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    So why are you buying it?

That is indeed pointless. What idiot at Panasonic came up with the idea of giving a DVD-Audio player no 5.1 decoder!

It doesn't nessecarily have to be cheap. That's the annoying thing I'm willing to pay.

I'd already own the 575 except it's missing one crucial thing: It only has 1 scart. I need two (preferably with RGB-loop through) for my Freeview box.

It makes no sense as the previous model (which couldn't play Divx/Xvid) had two scarts and the next model up of the current range has two scarts but can't play DivX/Xvid. Only this player in their range can???

Explain that!

10. agneepath

agneepath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    there s an easy answer why i'm buying the E-85: the only dvd recorder with Dvd-audio 5.1 channel outputs costs over a grand!