1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible to assign your tv as centre channel with av8

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by brendank, Nov 13, 2004.

1. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi all

nearly getting around to installing everything just trying to figure it out

as tmy tv B&O beovision 3 is equipped with a decent active speaker (which is intended to be used as centre speaker using their dolby digital module in surround sound set up)i was wondering if i could assign it as centre channel with my av8 and if so how would i go about this.this solution would also have added bonus of not having to mute tv for dvd playback.

heres hoping... :)

2. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    anybody?? :)

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bad idea IMHO. I doubt any TV has a speaker capable of decent high fidelity reproduction.

Assuming you have good speakers since your pre/pro is an AV8...using TV speakers to substitute for a missing speaker in a surround setup is like letting the neighborhood dogs poop in your rose garden.

Better to just let your mains handle a phantom center.

But if you must...offhand, you'd need to go from the AV8 center pre-out to the TV center amp line in (since is it active as you say). But being a B&O I wouldn't be surprised if it's a proprietary connection meant only to support their surround module.

4. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi dean

thanks for the response

i understand what your getting at it is the actual location of a centre speaker that is causing my headaches that coupled with the fact of trying to integrate other makers into my bang olufsen set up.

the speakers on this tv are actually top notch (i can personally verify that as i have lived without surround sound for over a year now) they are actually designed to be used as centre speakers with the bang olufsen dolby module if they werent good enough i wouldnt even consider it. it would also solve the problem of having to mute tv when playing dvd

the other option you proposed of phantom centre speaker how does this work?

cheers :)

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It means you don't use a center speaker at all. In your AV8 setup menu set Center to 'none' (or 'not present', whatever the option is). The center channel info will go to the front L/R speakers, creating a "phantom" center in the middle.

As for using the B&O as center, best thing is to connect it and see how it sounds. If you like it, that's what really matters.

Dean

6. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi again

just thinking will this work?

If i use a Scart cable with extra phono connections for audio in/out. This is connected to the Centre Pre out on the Surround amp via a sterio to mono addaptor.

Only draw back i can see is the need to set the TV initial volume seperately from the other channels unless someone knows a better way :) .