Is it ok to use a macbook pro in bed or will it cause overheating?

tony kop77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to play football manager and surf the net while in bed. I place the mac pro one one of thesehttp://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Notebook%20coolers&type_sub=NB%20Coolers&model=AK-NBC-08BK which I originally bought for a windows laptop. I used to use my old windows laptops while in bed but the duvet caused it to overheat, don't want to damage my laptop so thought as you guys as you know more about it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used my various MacBooks along these lines for years, and I've never had an issue. At times the MacBooks (especially Pro editions) do get very warm, but if you run a widget like stat pro (iStat Pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer) you will notice that the device is still well within its designed operating perimeters

I've used my various MacBooks along these lines for years, and I've never had an issue. At times the MacBooks (especially Pro editions) do get very warm, but if you run a widget like stat pro (iStat Pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer) you will notice that the device is still well within its designed operating perimeters

Thank you just don't want to damage something that costs £1600.

You really should use something solid underneath it, ideally a laptop cooling pad, or you'll soon "cook" your battery and hard disk.

You really should use something solid underneath it, ideally a laptop cooling pad, or you'll soon "cook" your battery and hard disk.

I sit it on one of these which I bought for my previous windows laptop
Akasa Thermal Solution
will that be ok?

Can't say I've ever used anything like that on any of my laptops. No problems, but if I do watch a HD movie or browse or code I make certain the duvee is not blocking the fans. Have been working from home this week and did that every night in my hotel room.

Also keep in mind that the MacbookPro exhaust fan is on the back of the machine, angled slightly upwards - unlike more conventional laptops which have the fans in stupid places i.e. underneath blowing down......

I have used my MBP for the last 2 years on beds, carpets, floors, sofas and never had any problems at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom