• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is it OK to turn my HD box off at the mains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JennyW

Each night I turn off my TV/DVD/Sky box etc, having a new HD box, is it still ok to turn off? I understand that recording wouldn't happen/series link etc but apart from that is it ok to turn off?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
If you mean turning off by putting it into standby - that's fine, the box will do that for you anyway after two hours of inactivity in the middle of the night.

If you mean turning off at the socket, that's a different issue:-

Any overnight recordings won't happen, you won't get any Sky Anytime downloaded overnight, you won't pick up any overnight upgrades, and you may well be shortening the life of your Sky HD box.

Other than that, it should be fine... ;)

J

JennyW

If you mean turning off at the socket, that's a different issue:-

Any overnight recordings won't happen, you won't get any Sky Anytime downloaded overnight, you won't pick up any overnight upgrades, and you may well be shortening the life of your Sky HD box.

Other than that, it should be fine... ;)

ok thanks. This was my concern, I thought there may have been implications. Out of interest, how could it shorten the life of the box?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Most boxes that fail fail when trying to burst back into life after having an electric supply reconnected to them.

When you switch your box back on at the socket, it goes into a little recycle routine that can take anywhere between 60 seconds and five minutes. It is during this reboot that it is most likely it gives up the ghost and pack in. Don't force it into this situation by not making it do a cold restart every morning, and you are putting less stress on the box itself.

Valkirk

All this is indeed true however with HD you may also find you reasonably regularly (About once every 2 weeks or so) need to reboot your HD box (Well if you have one of the Thompson variety) by switching it off at the wall....

logiciel

For well over a year my Thomson has needed re-powering a few times, but not as often as that.
The "recycle routine" - "searching for listings" etc - does make powering off every night an impractical proposition.

Lofthouse81

Novice Member
So you think sky would actively promote people wasting energy by keeping there box on stand by all night, dont talk rubbish, i turn my box and everything else electrical off everynight unless im recording something and my anytime is still full. it fills that up when it is on during the day, what a rubbish bit of technology it would be if it couldnt handle being turned off every night, do you leave your pc on all the time for the same reasons, i would love to see your electricity bills. :nono:

terryclark

Standard Member
I am so glad there is at least one other member out there that thinks it utterly ridiculous Sky would want you to waste energy by enforcing you to leave anything on standby.Where on earth did that Grimms Fairy Tale originate from?

Martin J.

I am so glad there is at least one other member out there that thinks it utterly ridiculous Sky would want you to waste energy by enforcing you to leave anything on standby.Where on earth did that Grimms Fairy Tale originate from?
If you read carefully, you'll note that nobody in this thread claimed Sky wanted their customers to waste energy. However...

Box failures are not fairy tales, they're a real problem for a lot of people due to the design of the power supply. It often fails when the unit is connected to the mains, ergo the more power cycles it goes through, the more likely it is to fail. Incidentally, this is also true for hard disks.

It is also true that most EPG and software upgrades are pushed to the box at night, that's also the time it tends to "phone home". None of these functions will operate if the box is unplugged, and that can cause some problems. Many Anytime programmes are also recorded at night, and although not critical to operation, are important to some people.

logiciel

Who said anything about Sky promoting or enforcing a waste of energy?
The amount my receiver adds to my power bill would take a long time to add up to the cost of replacing it.

snapper69

Standard Member
All this is indeed true however with HD you may also find you reasonably regularly (About once every 2 weeks or so) need to reboot your HD box (Well if you have one of the Thompson variety) by switching it off at the wall....

I wish, when I was watching the Ryder Cup it was freezing about every 30 minutes. Strangely enough though it has only done it once since then.

Lofthouse81

Novice Member
Who said anything about Sky promoting or enforcing a waste of energy?
The amount my receiver adds to my power bill would take a long time to add up to the cost of replacing it.

Think your kind of missing my point,

How can turning something off everynight make it fail more quickly, its nonsense. If a box is faulty its faulty, if its not it should be able to handle being powered up everyday, my sky+ box was fine for the 3 years i was doing this for, with not one problem.

I very much doubt sky will try and tell me that i should be leaving my box on standby at all times. Total C**p.

Turn off your boxes, save the planet!!!!(tongue in cheek).

AndyCob

How can turning something off everynight make it fail more quickly, its nonsense. If a box is faulty its faulty, if its not it should be able to handle being powered up everyday, my sky+ box was fine for the 3 years i was doing this for, with not one problem.

I very much doubt sky will try and tell me that i should be leaving my box on standby at all times. Total C**p.

Turn off your boxes, save the planet!!!!(tongue in cheek).

Not right, actually turning the box off every night might (please note, MIGHT, not definitely will) shorten it's life. Even solid state electronics (that's no moving parts) do experience a form of wear and tear, the degree of this wear is much greater when components go from powered to unpowered (hot to cold) and back again, this is called power cycling and it causes much more strain than continuous steady operation. If you want a mechanical analogue, think of a crane raising and lowering a weight, this causes more wear and strain than simly holding it without moving.

However if the device has been appropriately designed and constructed with parts intended to take that strain then there shouldn't be a problem within it's expected lifetime, but as all the Sky HD power supply issues would seem to suggest, quality components don't appear to have been a priority and the box was not designed with the idea that you would switch it off every night so you may hasten it's death turning it on and off everyday, of course that may just mean it breaks in 9 years instead of 10 and what are the chances you will keep it that long anyway.

Dave_nt

If it was meant to be fully powered off wouldn't it have a proper on/off switch like on PC power supplies?
How much power does it even use in standby, I can't imagine it's much.

J

JennyW

If it was meant to be fully powered off wouldn't it have a proper on/off switch like on PC power supplies?

hmmm, I'm not sure what to do now :confused:. I too would be interested to know how much it costs to leave the box on 24/7

Goooner

Distinguished Member
No idea how much it's costing, but mine has been on permantly (not standby) since I've had it. The only time I ever turn it off is when it needs a reboot.

FZR400RRSP

Banned

I leave mine on standby too, but I wish it could be powered off/on in an easier/faster fashion.
It's got nothing to do with saving money, it's a safety thing.
I know of two people who have had on-standby TV sets catch fire.
One was a Sony, one was a Beko.
Wherever possible, I like to switch stuff off properly.
But, as others have said, the power-up delay/grief just makes it too much hassle with a SKY box.
Incidentally, I have anytime TV switched off, so I don't need their overnight pushes.

RayP

hmmm, I'm not sure what to do now :confused:. I too would be interested to know how much it costs to leave the box on 24/7

Jenny,

Any device that doesn't have an on/off switch is designed to stay on all the time. Think back to when you had a video recorder. Did you turn that off every night? Probably not.;)

How often does a light bulb fail when it's already on? Hardly ever. They nearly always fail when you switch them on. I'm not saying you should leave a light always on because it consumes a lot of watts but a Sky box won't. I'd guess about £4 max a year.

And if you leave it off how do you receive the occasional software updates? My advice - leave it on.

logiciel

How can turning something off everynight make it fail more quickly, its nonsense.
Maybe I am - Maybe you're missing other's knowledge, which is better than mine, and which says that it can make it fail more quickly, that it's not nonsense.

simon194

It uses the same amount of power in standby as when it's switched on less whatever the HDD uses when it's not running. The box supplies power to the LNB in standby.

neiljones

Aldi sell a cheap plug in device that will tell you exactly how much electricity that the appliance uses-you can monitor it over a 24 hour period.

Broadz

Distinguished Member

What kind of berk leaves their fridge and freezer on overnight? Or their clock radio? Oh that's right, the kind of berk who wants the machine to do something overnight (keep food cold, keep food frozen, keep time). And the Sky HD box is busy doing stuff overnight - overnight recordings, downloading Anytimes, picking up upgrades. So leave it switched on - or at least in Standby.

bobcar

Distinguished Member
Maybe I am - Maybe you're missing other's knowledge, which is better than mine, and which says that it can make it fail more quickly, that it's not nonsense.
It's a controversial subject and nobody knows for sure in the case of a Sky box. It's a matter of whether the surges at start up outweigh the fact that it would have been on longer and that depends upon the box design itself - some kit will live longer always on and some if turned off regularly.

It's certainly true that it is more likely to fail when it is switched on but that doesn't mean switching it off regularly will make it fail more quickly - assuming that because a box fails on start up that the cause was turning it on/off is very poor science but is a natural human reaction (consider autism and vaccination). As an example consider someone who runs regularly, if they have a heart attack it's most likely to be when they are running but overall they are less likely to have a heart attack than someone who doesn't run regularly. (It's not a perfect analogy by any means because you can't "train" a Sky box but it does illustrate the point that just because it's more likely to fail when turning on does not mean always leaving on is necessarily preserving it's life).

bobcar

Distinguished Member
This whole discussion of course wouldn't be necessary if Sky would get there design right and have a proper low power standby instead of the thing effectively always be on (except for the HDD and a few other sundries).

And before someone says this is not possible because of the way Sky+ works well it is - it's a matter of good design and is perfectly possible. I design kit with not dissimilar functions and could design a Sky+ (HD) that would have low power standby, I bet if Sky had to pay for the lack of low power standby then Sky+ (HD) would have it - it needs government legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom