Quantcast

Is it ok to run speaker wires alongside TV cable?

catalin

Standard Member
Hi. My TV cable outlet is at the back of the room, and the TV at the front. I will run the TV cable to the TV through a plastic cord channel. Coincidentally this is the same route as for the back speakers of the home cinema so can I run both speaker wires and TV cable through the same channel or would that cause interference?

Andy8421

Novice Member
Catalin,

When you say 'TV cable' Do you mean aerial lead?

If so, you should be fine. TV signal carrier frequency is in the 100s of MHz, your audio system operates in the 10s of KHz.

There is one caveat, in extreme cases it is possible for interference to swamp a badly designed RF stage on a TV, and it is also possible for RF to find its way into a badly designed amp up the speaker leads.

My advice would be to try it, I think you will be fine.

catalin

Standard Member
Yes that's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear. New question: for a short distance (the last 2-3m) I will also need to run the ADSL and the telephone cables alongside the aerial lead and speaker cables. Do you know if this has the potential to cause any trouble? Thanks.

Andy8421

Novice Member
Catalin,

This is a slightly different kettle of fish.

It is unlikely that the TV signal will suffer, but you might find that the amp picks up some interference from the phone, (particularly when it rings) and you may also clobber the speed at which your adsl modem connects to the exchange with a reduction in your download speed.

Try and keep them separate if possible.

Andy.

Top Bottom