Is it normal to have exceptionally poor picture quality from Sky Q (LG C1 77)?

viper900

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently upgraded to the 77" LG C1 from a 65" Samsung KS8000. Previously the Samsung - a 5 year old LED TV - handled upscaling exceptionally well, and HD channels looked sharp.

However, all Sky HD material looks exceptionally blurry. Watching Arsenal v Brentford on Sky One HD was like someone smeared vaseline all over the screen!

I have a Sky Q Box and set the output to 2160p.

Could the blurry PQ be secondary to poor HDMI cables, or a faulty TV?

Thanks.

Have you checked your TV settings correctly. Last nights game was in 4K HDR and the picture was superb.. surely the HDMI cable was the same as you used in the Samsung?
Also that’s through Sky have you tried other source material, do you have a 4K player, what’s this like?

Do you have UHD Sky Q, or the ‘basic’ HD box? If the latter, maybe that’s the issue?

I have recently upgraded to the 77" LG C1 from a 65" Samsung KS8000. Previously the Samsung - a 5 year old LED TV - handled upscaling exceptionally well, and HD channels looked sharp.

However, all Sky HD material looks exceptionally blurry. Watching Arsenal v Brentford on Sky One HD was like someone smeared vaseline all over the screen!

Thanks.
If you don't have a 4K Sky package try setting your Sky Q box to output at 1080i or 1080p instead. Might make the picture look better. 👍

All Sky Q boxes are 4K compatible except the sky mini box
My Sky Q box isn't 4K (you can find your model number of Sky Q box in settings) and some aren't 4K (mine included). Have had mine for about 18 months so suspect newer ones are all 4k compatible now. 👍

All Sky Q boxes are 4K compatible except the sky mini box
Not so, they initially fitted a standard one for me (as a VIP freebie) as I wasn’t told there was a difference until I asked the installer how to get UHD material. Had to do a box switch and pay a bit more. This was earlier this year.

Last edited:
Not so, they initially fitted a standard one for me (as a VIP freebie) as I wasn’t told there was a difference until I asked the installer how to get UHD material. Had to do a box switch and pay a bit more. This was earlier this year.

That I was unaware of. Why get Sky Q and no 4K? However they have the settings set at 2160p so it’s s Sky Q 4K box..

My Sky Q box isn't 4K (you can find your model number of Sky Q box in settings) and some aren't 4K (mine included). Have had mine for about 18 months so suspect newer ones are all 4k compatible now. 👍
I was unaware. I had an early Sky Q box which was also 4K. But changed this earlier this year to one that was HDR compatible. It was the HDR compatibility that I thought was the only difference between main boxes

I was unaware. I had an early Sky Q box which was also 4K. But changed this earlier this year to one that was HDR compatible. It was the HDR compatibility that I thought was the only difference between main boxes
That probably is the only difference with newer ones I imagine. I'm still rocking a Kuro so no 4K for me yet!

I believe the ones with the larger hard drives were 4k compatible since launch.

I first got one in 2016 with my old LG B6 OLED

Have you checked your TV settings correctly. Last nights game was in 4K HDR and the picture was superb.. surely the HDMI cable was the same as you used in the Samsung?
Also that’s through Sky have you tried other source material, do you have a 4K player, what’s this like?
Netflix, Amazon Prime, and MKV movies look excellent.

Everything in Sky looks horrendous, including 'HD' channels - which look like a blurfest if I am truly honest.

Have you tried changing the resolution on your Sky Q box from 2160p to 1080i or 1080p when you watch HD broadcasts?

Thanks.
Sky HD channels don’t look good. The difference between a PL football game in 1080p and 4K is night and day. The movie channels look similarly bad. Nothing you can do about it.

Sky HD channels don’t look good. The difference between a PL football game in 1080p and 4K is night and day. The movie channels look similarly bad. Nothing you can do about it.

So are we saying that if all your viewing is via Sky Q then the picture will be poor?

Correct. The football in 1080p in particular seems to be noticeably worse than it was last season. 1080p movies have always been bad.

Thanks.

We went from a 65FZ to a 77AG9 a while back. Unless you’ve changed your seating position you need to appreciate it’s a significant bump in screen size.

So the first “problem” is whilst you get far greater immersion, poor source material will become all the more evident.

A lot of Sky’s broadcasts are crap and that’s being highlighted with these bigger screen sizes. Even some of their 4k stuff is mediocre at best IMO (for example 4k BT sport on Virgin is better then many of the 4k games on my Sky sports). Watch something on Apple TV and your blown away. A quick search online tells you why, the bit rates don’t lie.

The second issue is historically many compression algorithms (and mastering) have hidden away nasty artefacts near black. That may have been a sensible choice a few years ago. But OLEDs and some FALDs can actually display what’s near black. And what was crushed away by older displays is now shown in all its macro blocking/random noise ugliness.

Aside from the initial annoyance I generally just ignore these issues and still love the immersion my 77AG9 offers. Yes the issues with some scenes are laid bare, but most material is still mostly watchable. So why fixate on some scenes and ruin your day, it ain’t going to change anytime soon.

We went from a 65FZ to a 77AG9 a while back. Unless you’ve changed your seating position you need to appreciate it’s a significant bump in screen size.

So the first “problem” is whilst you get far greater immersion, poor source material will become all the more evident.

A lot of Sky’s broadcasts are crap and that’s being highlighted with these bigger screen sizes. Even some of their 4k stuff is mediocre at best IMO (for example 4k BT sport on Virgin is better then many of the 4k games on my Sky sports). Watch something on Apple TV and your blown away. A quick search online tells you why, the bit rates don’t lie.

The second issue is historically many compression algorithms (and mastering) have hidden away nasty artefacts near black. That may have been a sensible choice a few years ago. But OLEDs and some FALDs can actually display what’s near black. And what was crushed away by older displays is now shown in all its macro blocking/random noise ugliness.

Aside from the initial annoyance I generally just ignore these issues and still love the immersion my 77AG9 offers. Yes the issues with some scenes are laid bare, but most material is still mostly watchable. So why fixate on some scenes and ruin your day, it ain’t going to change anytime soon.
Funny, I’ve just gone from a 65 FZ to a 77 AG9 also. Motion is slightly disappointing at the moment, I expected it to be better, and although I’d say it’s different I wouldn’t say it’s better than the Panny.

Going from a 4k HDR stream to broadcast 'HD' is a terrible experience. The only way HD looks good is if I sit 12ft away.

I suppose TVs have gotten quite large since HD channels were first aired back in the early 2000s. Back then a 40" TV was large, now that's considered a large monitor but a tiny tv.

Thats's disappointing to hear, it sounds like I need to rethink my idea of getting an OLED as all my TV watching is via Sky.
I'll stick with my Panasonic plasma I think.

If it’s any help to you, I have a 55” Sony A80J and sky q is really very good through this tv. Can’t knock it all.
hd and hdr are brilliant.

If it’s any help to you, I have a 55” Sony A80J and sky q is really very good through this tv. Can’t knock it all.
hd and hdr are brilliant.
That's good to know.
But if most OLED's are poor with Sky Q picture quality, how are they with their own built in Freesat?

Funny, I’ve just gone from a 65 FZ to a 77 AG9 also. Motion is slightly disappointing at the moment, I expected it to be better, and although I’d say it’s different I wouldn’t say it’s better than the Panny.

We turn all the motion processing off as it annoys my OH. If you use any of it, going from one brands approach to another’s may mean you notice a greater difference.

None of the approaches are perfect, they are trying to fix an inherent issue with source material and the way our eyes/brain process images. Whilst doing that they introduce their own issues. Particularly as many of us have become accustomed to ignoring the issues interpolation/etc are trying to fix through years of conditioning (watching TV).

In fact as HFR starts to hit the mainstream I suspect a lot of people may well find it “odd” for certain programming (films etc).

I agree there’s not much in it between the FZ and AG9. The big step up in FOV is the key benefit. 65” was ok for normal viewing but for anamorphic it wasn’t as immersive. At 77” I’m finally happy with FOV when viewing anamorphic films. Ofcourse I’m still tempted to go bigger, but I don’t feel like I need bigger, just want bigger :)

Last edited:

Thanks.
Interesting I upgraded from the same Samsung TV and the picture was better on the old 65", have you been able to find a solution?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom