Is it normal that 'accidental damage' is not covered by John Lewis computer warranty?

fantasyvn

Standard Member
Could you pls advise.

My computer, bought from John Lewis, is still under warranty. I sent it to John Lewis, which forwarded the pc to HP. And they said the pc requires the new mainboard, this have been identified to be needed due to evidence of accidental damage.

Due to the provided diagnosis a free repair under the terms of the guarantee will not be possible.

I have checked the warranty terms which said Your John Lewis guarantee excludes: Accidental damage, servicing, inspecting or cleaning of the insured product.

Does it mean that I have no way but to pay for the cost, if I want them to repair the pc?

Thank you for your advice.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Perfectly normal for every shop and type of device. Warranties are there to cover faults and design issues on the product. If you damage a product yourself then that's entirely your responsibility.

If you're confident that there hasn't been any accidents, or they didn't contribute to the failure, then you can certainly discuss it with them - perhaps pay for a second opinion from a different assessor.

jimscreechy

I agree, accidental damage is normally an additional cover option and rarely offered as standard for electrical or electronic products.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Yeah, I paid extra on my household cover to get accidental damage on my toys as you never know when something bad could happen (after seeing my Dad's speakers fell onto the fire hearth causing a more than just a few £Pounds worth of damage with major damage to both). Usually you have to also list items which are classed as high value. In my system its anything that cost over £1k when new

DavidG1

You should have checked the terms of the John Lewis warranty yourself. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect standard warranties of this kind to include accidental damage. This might include liquid spill accidental drop damage etc. You take out additional (and usually costly insurance) for this type of problem. Asking the manufacturers/suppliers to include this as standard would put up the cost up for everyone.

Last edited:

Oswald

My computer, bought from John Lewis, is still under warranty. I sent it to John Lewis, which forwarded the pc to HP. And they said the pc requires the new mainboard, this have been identified to be needed due to evidence of accidental damage.

Due to the provided diagnosis a free repair under the terms of the guarantee will not be possible.
Just a sec... it's your computer. Surely you know whether or not you damaged it? :confused:

Downinja

I think the important question here is, did you accidentally damage it?

Most warranties are warranties against product defects. It's not really a defect if it breaks when you drop out of a window :)

Insurance is something different to a warranty.

Oswald

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom