Is it normal for the 3DS XL screen to wobble?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by kase, Jul 29, 2012.

1. kase

kase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Picked up the XL Friday night and traded in my 3DS. I have noticed there is a fair bit of wobble/play in the primary playing portion, second click.

I don't remember my 3DS having any wobble but this one wobbles quite a bit. Can only imagine it being annoying in action game, or game where you need to move the console. Not sure if I can be bothered going back in to GAME to ask if I can't try another, but does anyone else have this issue - is it worth trying a different one or is this normal and to be expected with the new hinge? Thanks.

2. Jas H

Jas H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Zero wobble on mine. Sounds faulty.

3. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    I think the reason they loosened off the hinges is due to them cracking, when they were tight, and also more than likely to alieviate the screen marking phenomenon that was on the oriiginal 3DS, along with the new bumpers, which incidentally, can still happen on the new XL, the space between screens now with the new bumpers is tiny, but even slight pressure brings the screens together., but overly loose hinges, I wouldn't accept it.

4. kase

kase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks. It's not so much loose hinges as it locks in to place but when it's locked it wobbles within the locked position. Wonder if GAME will exchange it, and if so guess that means doing another transfer.. ?

5. speighty

speighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I wouldn't worry about it, mine wobbles slightly but not to the extent that it is bothering me.

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +759
    Glad you posted this as mine is the same. Was under the impression that the XL hinges were much tighter than the old 3DS so i was quite suprised by the wobble.

Just to make sure ours are the same, mine wobbles about 10mm (measuring the forward/back movement at the top of the "lid")

What about you?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  7. Jas H

Jas H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    This is really odd, and suggests a LOT of manufacturing variation. I checked mine again, and it has absolutely zero wobble when in the 2nd locked playing position. My old 3DS had a slight wobble.

8. kase

kase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes mine is about 10mm in 2nd position, I checked a neogaf thread and everyone is reporting a wobble too.
    3DS XL First Impressions/Previews - NeoGAF

I suspect they are using the same hinge as the ds xl which also had a wobble. Jas H you are the only person I've found reporting no movement at all..?? Does it wobble in any of the positions? I'll try and stop by GAME and check the in store demo model, and ask them about it. Really can't be bothered doing a transfer again but curious to know if it's normal.

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    I have to go to Game tomorrow to take my old 3DS in and get a refund for the difference (i hope theynare true to their word and give me the £100 as pro'ised). I will check out their demo units and see if they are the same as mine.

10. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Tried 2 in GAME today.. Both were the same as mine (ie wobbly/floppy/what ever you want to call it)

11. kase

kase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes - I tried 5 in GAME today and all were wobbling. One was a bit stiffer than mine so the manager let me swap it. The only issue with that was I need to do another transfer so had to buy it outright then they'll refund me the old one when I bring it back. Not such a problem as I'm working around the corner from a GAME this week.

The good thing is I've been able to sit them side by side and test; they move about the same - 1cm, when in the second click. The new one is slightly harder to move though. No idea how you ended up with one that doesn't wobble Jas.. ?

12. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Bear in mind, you have to wait 7 days to do your transfer.. Thats one of the reasons I have not been keen to swap, as its just a pain having to buy a seconds one.. Wait 7 days.. Do the transfer and then take it back.

Jon

13. kase

kase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That's why they made me buy the replacement, then I can return the old 'faulty' one within 28 days, allowing me time to wait another 5 days before I can do the transfer. Tempted to call Nintendo and see if they can remove the wait but everything I've read says they can't..:facepalm:

14. Jas H

Jas H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Mine has a slight wobble in the 1st click position, but none in the 2nd click, which is the position I use it in.

Probably like all things, the people with a issue tend to post about it, and those without remain silent. That might explain the numbers reporting it?

15. amb47uk

amb47uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine wobbles pretty bad -especially in 2nd position (about 1.5cm) - tempted to take mine back.. you think gamestation will do it?

Its REALLY bugging me when you move it you can feel the weight shift as the screen knocks about. Never had this issue with my standard 3DS

16. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    I measured mine and its not as bad as I thought.. Mine wobbles about 6mm, so its not quite as bad as the 10mm I quoted before.. 1.5cms sounds really bad.. I do know what you mean when you talk about the weight shift, I found that too.

I am looking at my old DSi XL, and it has roughly the same amount of 'slop', but its no where near as loose, so it doesn't actually wobble.

I might live with mine for a few months and then see what future batches are like.. And if there is an improvement, I might change mine.

Jon

17. kase

kase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes all the ones I tested in GAME wobbled but some felt tighter then others. The two I have in front of me move exactly the same in the second click but the first one feels easier to wobble, the new one doesn't move as much in the other two positions either, so will keep it and return the original. GAME were hesitant to exchange given all the ones we tried wobbled so therefor didn't consider it faulty but when I said it annoyed me while playing AR games they agreed to swap it. Think the hinges are meant to have some play to stop them snapping but it seems the extent and ease of play vaires. All the ones I tested we're silver models, not sure if the other colours have as much play, or if it even makes a difference.

18. Jas H

Jas H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    No idea if colour matters, but mine is black & silver, and I received it from Sainsburys online. Still no wobble whatsoever after a few days of use though. Clearly there is massive manufacturing variation, and high tolerances in production. Doesn't say much for quality control :(

My old 3DS wobbles, but not much.

19. amb47uk

amb47uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got my silver one replaced today for a red (love the red so much more). There is a much smaller amount of wobble in this one. I certainly dont get the weight shift of the screen wobble problem anymore - hopefully it stays that way.

Poor quality control though. These small things will cost them millions. Similar to xbox cheap solder etc