Is it normal for MadVR to do this?

Ondow

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

It took me a while and many tests to understand all the mechanics surrounding the playback of 4K HDR10 content on a PC and when I thought I was ready to sit back and enjoy some prime quality movie time: something happened.

I used to play my movies using VLC and the OS HDR settings. It was good but after testing on my C9 integrated media player I noticed that something was off with my regular PC playback. The most noticeable issue was peak brightness being definitely high on the TV player and just not as bright on PC. So I did some searching and came to MadVR render.

Anyway! I'll cut to the chase.

I learned MadVR is the way to go when playing HDR10 content on PC but I'm getting this weird issue. It's like a mix of pink and sometimes green banding, artifacts or patches, appearing especially in white areas and skin. It can be very distracting because it can present itself as a blocky anomaly over actors' faces popping around while speaking or moving.

Now I want to know if it's something I can fix or it has to do with the way MadVR handles HDR content. Because, as I said, it does not happen when using any other player.
Thanks a lot for the time you took to read this and le'ts see...

Have a nice day.

Hello there,

It took me a while and many tests to understand all the mechanics surrounding the playback of 4K HDR10 content on a PC and when I thought I was ready to sit back and enjoy some prime quality movie time: something happened.

I used to play my movies using VLC and the OS HDR settings. It was good but after testing on my C9 integrated media player I noticed that something was off with my regular PC playback. The most noticeable issue was peak brightness being definitely high on the TV player and just not as bright on PC. So I did some searching and came to MadVR render.

Anyway! I'll cut to the chase.

I learned MadVR is the way to go when playing HDR10 content on PC but I'm getting this weird issue. It's like a mix of pink and sometimes green banding, artifacts or patches, appearing especially in white areas and skin. It can be very distracting because it can present itself as a blocky anomaly over actors' faces popping around while speaking or moving.

Now I want to know if it's something I can fix or it has to do with the way MadVR handles HDR content. Because, as I said, it does not happen when using any other player.
Thanks a lot for the time you took to read this and le'ts see...

Have a nice day.

Not 100% sure but it sounds like a hdr conflict, I had something like that when my PC was set to hdr in the display settings and my TV decided it wasn't receiving an hdr signal, cured it by disabling hdr in display settings and using the hdr settings in the program i was using.

Hi Ondow, not sure if you have fix the issue if you hav'nt the cure is to use dvxa-copy back or d3d11 native or d3d11-copy back in the decoder selection in lav filters video codec settings do not use dvxa native that gives you them issuse with the colour and patches you see madvr uses directshow codecs from windows where as vlc uses its own based of ffmpeg (i thinks its called that) thats why you dont see them isuses with vlc.
pleasent viewing

Yes! Thanks for your answer guys.
Now I switched to D3D11 and the patches are way less noticable. Although they still there. I've read a bit about how MadVR doesn't play well with OLED panels such as my C9 and setting Nvidia Control Panel to output 8 bpc instead of 12 bit entirely solves the issue. Although I don't understand much but since my TV is a native 10 bit and I usually play 10 bit content... Does not feel right in my mind to use 8 bit.
Any advice on this so I can ease this obsession of mine? Haha.
Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom