Is it my TV or is it my Sky setup?

hilly81

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Done some searching but cant find my specific issue.

Basically, moved last May and had our Sky plumbed in and bought a new TV at the same time (LG 49UH620V). We were using a very old Sky HD box with a full HD package subscription. After a few days, I noticed shadowing or darker patches, mostly appearing Vertically on the screen when watching football. This was most pronounced when the screen panned from right to left and vice versa which obviously happens a lot during football. I also noticed this shadowing watching other things, although when the image wasn't moving much the picture was great. It was most noticeable when the screen was full with one or a similar colour, hence seeing it in football with all the green of the pitch.

I assumed it was the old Sky box and was due toy upgrade to Q in the next few months so left it. Issue was still there with the New Q box and even in UHD. So I moved onto the TV.

Contacted Currys (They are utterly useless but that another post entirely) and the TV went back 2 times and had new screens. Issue still there. It went back again and Currys thoroughly messed me about with culminated in a big complaint and a full refund on the LG despite buying it nearly 9 months ago.

So a few days ago I bought a Philips 50PUS6272 (Very nice at the price point) and I can still see the issue.

After all this waffle (Apologies!) could the issue be caused by the dish (LNB??) or the cabling from the dish? They are the only thing that haven't been replaced. 2 TV's, 2 Sky Box's and new HDMI leads but still shadowing.

Appreciate any comments.

Sounds like DSE, see this explanation does that match up ?

DSE is a side effect of some TV's it various in intensity from one brand to another.

DSE is a side effect of some TV's it various in intensity from one brand to another.
Yes, that looks spot on to be honest. Thank you. Annoying but I guess at the price point I'm looking at (Paid £419 for the Philips) then these devices are not going to be perfect. I guess I'll just be putting up with this until I'm richer then!

Returned many TVs with dse, personally I can't live with it,LG and Panasonic were the biggest culprits in my experience.

Returned many TVs with dse, personally I can't live with it,LG and Panasonic were the biggest culprits in my experience.
What did you end up with, Mike? I’m in two minds as to whether or not return the Philips. It’s not as bad as the LG but it’s there. I guess I’m really looking for it now though which doesn’t help.

Not sure a can be bothered with the faff of taking it back and probably ending up with another the same or even worse.

What did you end up with, Mike? I’m in two minds as to whether or not return the Philips. It’s not as bad as the LG but it’s there. I guess I’m really looking for it now though which doesn’t help.

Not sure a can be bothered with the faff of taking it back and probably ending up with another the same or even worse.
Ended up with a Sony xe7073 not a hint of dse or banding.

LG IPS / Samsung / BOE PLS / ADS panels are normally more prone than VA for banding and dse due to the differences in tech, with IPS and PLS normally cheaper to make than VA.

AUO(Acer) are supposed to be the best in the industry for panel uniformity but it's all depends on a unit by unit basis, as @DevonMike has already gone through about 15 times with different brands.

I've just posted a comparison video in German on the XF90 thread showing the XF90, and it has banding, and dse all over the screen, and this is a 2018 model.

Couldn’t be doing with the Philip’s either so returned it. Using my old 43” Samsung which while not great with motion has no DSE, until I can afford an OLED.

Couldn’t be doing with the Philip’s either so returned it. Using my old 43” Samsung which while not great with motion has no DSE, until I can afford an OLED.

Phillips are not Phillips any longer, they are owned now by TP Vision, made in Hong Kong and Macau.

Same as Toshiba and Panasonic on the lower end used to be made in Turkey by Vestel, avoid!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom