Is it my receiver or ps3 won't decode DTS?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Yammy lover, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Yammy lover

Yammy lover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi there, i got a problem with my ps3 slim and Yamaha 6.1 receiver setup which is seriously grinding my gears! So i'm asking for some help here, again.. :D
    I have my ps3 connected to hdtv via hdmi and ps3 also connected to receiver via optical/toslink cable. I have the ps3 audio settings selected on Optical audio (DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1). Whenever i play a game or a DVD, the receiver only displays Dolby Digital but never displays DTS. On the receiver it got DTS decoding written all over it and if you look closely on the display, its got a DTS led (which never light up). So i set the ps3 audio settings to Bitstream direct instead of Linear PCM and the receiver still doesn't display DTS. The receiver is also on auto mode to pick up digital signal and still nothing. I am quite happy with the surround sound on Dolby Digital mode but i heard DTS is better because its uncompressed audio. I know it doesn't make a big difference on sound quality between Dolby and DTS but if that what my receiver can do, it should decode it.
    Am i doing something wrong or missed something out? Thanks for reading and i hope you can help :smashin:

2. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Right - there seems to be some confusion.

You can't decide on DTS over DD - the source material (game/dvd) has to be in one of the two formats. Check your game/dvd box, you'll have written in which of the two formats it is.

You have to also understand the difference between Bitstream and LPCM - what you're choosing there is whether or not the PS3 is doing the decoding - LPCM means the ps3 is doing it and you won't see any DTS/DD logos lit up on the amp this way.

So - if you want to see your amp display read DTS you have to set the PS3 to bitstream, and you have to find some source material in DTS - try with a DVD first, not all of them have (Saving Private Ryan, Lord of the Rings - google will help!), and make sure you select the DTS audio from the movie itself if it has dual audio.

NOTE. I don't have a PS3, I don't know what amp you have, and I don't know if you watch blu-rays - if you do and want to use one of the HD audio codecs (DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD) and your amp can't decode these you'll have to select LPCM on the PS3 - as I said I don't know if you can do this per codec, but if you can, select Bitstream for standard DD/DTS and LPCM for their HD variants. If your amp can do HD audio, then bitstream all!

AND (as PSM1 mentioned below) you HAVE to connect the HDMI directly to amp for any HD audio codec.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    As far as I know all ps3 games are dd only so you will never see dts with games. Also a lot of films are only dd as well so again will not see dts on the receiver. Check to see if you have a dts encoded film and then select the dts soundtrack in the film menu. Also depending on your receiver you get the best sound (hd audio from blurays) by connecting the hdmi cable direct to the receiver and then the receiver to the tv.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,366
    All PS3 games are encoded with Dolby Digital and none use DTS. Even if a game is encoded with Dolby Digital it isn't streamed/output as such. The PS3 decodes all game audio onboard by default and outputs game audio as PCM. If you are getting Dolby Digital showing up on your amp when playing games then you've incorrectly configured your PS3 to force the bitstreaming of game DD audio. If you do this then the PS3 cannot mix in audio it creates into the audio sourced from the game's disc.

Discrete audio formats such as DTS and Dolby Digital are not something the PS3 or your amp creates, they are the formats that the actual audio files on media such as your game's and film discs are encoded with. Look on the boxes of you games and films to determine what discrete formats are present. You do not get to choose such options on your amp.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  5. Yammy lover

Yammy lover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thankyou very much everyone! As said above the main reason why DTS is not showing on my receiver is because not all games and dvd's have DTS. But i still set the ps3 to DTS 5.1 on bitstream to try Battlefield 3 as that has DTS written on the case. And yes! Its the first time the DTS led light up! I have noticed the rear surround speakers are more precised on DTS mode, and i'm well chuffed because i now know it works. Shame i haven't got a lot of games and dvd's which don't have DTS. Oh well.., Dolby Digital still works brilliant. Again thanks everyone for your help :)