1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it must be possible?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by raven219, Aug 12, 2002.

1. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Is there any reason why an amp cannot be developed to give the 2 channel performance of high end amp (such as the Arcam A85) and still deliver the A/V performance that we would expect from pieces of kit like Denon, Yamaha and Sony?

Raven

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nope, so long as you want to pay about three times as much for it as you would for that there high-end two channel amp you're talkin' about.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problem - ultimately I went for a separate stereo amp + CD player in addition to my AV setup. I'm guessing the many Tag fans on this site might be able to shed some light on whether an-all Tag system, for instance, could deliver exceptional stereo performance also? As I understand it, their DVD player is very good with CDs.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the Tag processor works about as well as any 2 channel amp as it has the ability to genuinely bypass all the switching junk necessary for decoding AV signals. I'm sure not may do though.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Fairly easily as I think that the reviews of the new Denon high end amp shows.

The trouble is that the hifi enthusiast wants less and less facilities on the amp in order to obtain the purest sound whilst the AV enthusiast seems to have more and more stuff crammed into his amp, some of which he will never want or need.

Video switching isn't used by many people and neither are the extra rear speakers yet these bits are crammed into the same size case which must degrade the audio signal to some extent.

Could you imagine a high end stereo amp having DSP modes.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    It is possible but costlySimilar performance can be obtained using Monoblock amps, a two box CD player, feeding 2 mono block amps for stereo, then an avprocessor feeding the 2 monoblocks and the required extra monoblocks,3,4,5 etc. but hugely expensive and large. a stereo amp with a proceeor is the best combiantion, decoding of AV channels does not affect CD play. I wish you could buy single channel power amps more easily, they could be bought to suit the speaker, not the other way round, add a suitable processor, for av and hey presto no half way house. But in the real world, 2 systems will be simpler, and apart from the extra 2 speakers and one box is not that different.
    Me my ears are crap so I can buy cheap and still enjoy.:D