Is it more than picture quality that gets people hooked on Pioneer Kuros?

Have you checked the AVSHD709 black clipping pattern after you reset your KRP500M? My KRP500M had crushed blacks after a reset, and there are a few members over on AVSFORUM who had the same issue.

It's what made me go back to an LX5090 because they don't have crushed blacks after a reset, and it looks like the KRP500A is similar to the LX5090 here, except they don't have green sparkles after a reset.

Hmm well yes and no, I will not really say i have black crush on my krps, is that a common problem for some? But I do have some on the 5090lx, but I have a feeling I have been very unlucky with that set. The screen is not clean. It also has green sparkles as expected but overall better then the red tint. That pattern your referring to may be easier to see is correct on other TVs I've done. +1 in brightness is the correct settings on the krps, even though clip 17 is barely flashing. I still would say that the near black details are better on the krps "irl" scenes. Or I would say it's excellent at near black details and not really a difference in the A and M. But I do admit this pattern was one of the things I was struggling to understand completely when I was learning and starting to calibrate some years ago. Maybe I have been lucky with my krp sets cause I have had 0 issues after the resets on all of them but if what you say is true, and by the sound of Mr Inferno that has had 2 bad krps, than maybe they are not as concistent as I though.

The main difference I see in the krp A and M in terms of blackness is that the A has a ever so microscopic tad more lag in going black in a changing scene. This is kinda impossible to see unless you study them side by side. Tbh I would need more samples of them to say that this was really down to a A and M and not a random difference in the sets. The 5090lx just don't go as black as the A and M. It's still blacker than the vt60 but I don't think you can refer it as oled black, unless ofc my set is just fubar.

I did write earlier that the krp is 99.5% black compared to the oled and what I mean here is not that the krp will look less black. If I put up a 5% pattern test or lest say the flower or fish scene from the kuro disc they are impossible to see a difference in black level, but there are some scenes where the picture is changing to fast for the kuros? Might be the wrong word, English is not my first language and I'm dyslexia :) I always do the la la land scene on all my tests, at the end song where they zoom into a trumpet. That scene takes ever so slightly longer to get 100% black compared to an oled. I can't even record this. And another example is the matrix in the start of the film when that green logo intro comes up the oled looks better. The Qled is quite strange here as well as it has a blackness that goes from somewhere between Panasonic plasma crap black to real oled black. Problem is when it has light and darkness in same scenes it struggles, and the off axis view by just tilting the head a bit makes this even worse. 75" is to much for that TV lol. But I do think it's a surprisingly good TV for what it is and I don't regret getting it. The only thing that disappointed me was the DSE during fotball. Again prob worse on a 75".

And by the sound of Mr Inferno that has had 2 bad krps, than maybe they are not as concistent as I though.

OMG, I would love to see this mystical perfect set you have, because it must have been made by Carlsberg :laugh: :rotfl:, what a crock!

This following quote is about MY SET,
And it was truly worth it. The Kuro KRP exhibited a deeper shade of black than any of the TVs on show: for once, the black bezel (shown up by a tiny amount of stray light) was actually more visible to my eye than the letterbox bars. This is without doubt the deepest blacks I’ve seen from a calibrated flat-panel television to date – the unrivalled amount of dynamic range and pop made me wish I could revisit all the movies I’ve already watched on the KRP-500A again

https:// www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/zt65-kuro-201305283044.htm

Totally faulty, that isn't it?

You are becoming embarrassing now.

Last edited:
Don't like the truth, Bye :hiya:

Don't like the truth, Bye :hiya:

What truth? I only hear a guy that can't accept that other have different options than him.

From that link:
"I was so astounded by the KRP’s black-level performance, that I immediately asked the owner where he bought his set, and whether it was specially tweaked with voltage or firmware adjustments. The answer to the first question was Sevenoaks (a high-end home cinema retailer in the UK); and to the second, no.

We’ve seen a few Kuro KRPs in the field and in trade shows, but none performed to this level."

So they had never seen a tweaked kuro and your set was not tweaked according to that info. That means brightness would not be on its best (you don't think getting twice the nits compared to a VT would be relevant if they had that in this test), black would prob be good yes but not be on pair with a tweaked, the calibrating was prob (guessing here) done years ago and would be off with the wrong algorithm in the Kuros, seeing this is 2013 already so colors are off. Oh and please stop calling people crocks and stuff. I am done talking on this thread to you. Goodnight and all the best with your oled.

I do accept that they were the best, and now are not

The Calibration on it was done the day before it was shown, so see you again are guessing and wrongly guessing, all your assumptions are incorrect, and if you can not see the faults with your set then I would guess that is why you think it's the best.

You go ahead and enjoy your tweaked perfect set, it obviously is the best one ever made, enjoy it :)

I've recently been thinking of replacing my 600M with a top end oled. Basicaly I want a larger screen. But still not sure it will be worth it.. been reading a lot about motion judder on oleds.My main viewing is bluray. Perhaps it may be better sticking with my kuro and just getting it calibrated... I have absolutely no issue with the picture quality

I've recently been thinking of replacing my 600M with a top end oled. Basicaly I want a larger screen. But still not sure it will be worth it.. been reading a lot about motion judder on oleds.My main viewing is bluray. Perhaps it may be better sticking with my kuro and just getting it calibrated... I have absolutely no issue with the picture quality

You should check the return policy options, that way you can test and decide for your self, and if your not satisfied at least you don't have to wonder :)

THe KRP's are def one of the best even today, but they have been surpassed by the best oleds in a few parameters. KRP too does some things better imo. I will not go for an oled anytime soon, more than happy with my 500A. At the end of the day whatever rocks your boat is the answer.

THe KRP's are def one of the best even today, but they have been surpassed by the best oleds in a few parameters. KRP too does some things better imo. I will not go for an oled anytime soon, more than happy with my 500A. At the end of the day whatever rocks your boat is the answer.

You can't watch a 4K Dolby Vision film without going WOW, the Kuro does not compare, despite what some will say, it's a no contest!

I think it’s a case of swings and roundabouts. I bought my PDP-434 over 16 years ago for £4000 and would still be using it now had a Kuro 428 not popped up on eBay for less than the price of a boiler service. So there’s no doubting the build quality.

I’ve always been blown away by the PQ of the Kuro and always been deeply disappointed with every LG OLED I’ve seen. Colours looked like something off a kids’ Disney ride and the earlier ones had black crush.

But, but... looking at the very latest Panasonic OLEDs playing their own demo material has me hooked. The colour is perfect, the blacks, he purer whites.

I sold my original £4000 Pioneer on eBay for £24. So I’ve vowed never to spend more than £1000 on a TV again. When the current Panasonic OLEDs drop below that - new or used - I’ll probably be buying. If I see proof the 1080i is OK.

Colours looked like something off a kids’ Disney ride and the earlier ones had black crush.

That my day rofl 👌😂

Tbh you should not pay much attention to demo materials or TV's at store. While they are great for showing off, they don't represent what you will be using the TV for. Unless you sit all day watching them 4k hdr clips on YouTube, than by all mean go window shopping 😂 The Q9fn looks amazing on thoose clips and kuro looks like stone age, but put a movie on next to the krp and the q9fn looks kinda dull compared. But than again, if you ain't got a Kuro next to it you won't really know 😉 My point is, don't buy a TV from looking at them in store.

24£ haha yea it's crazy how the prices change over time 😂 I think you will find that 1080i broadcast TV will look okay on a oled but it won't be as calm and motion will not be on pair, but good enough. One of my brother has the 2019 Philip oled and he always talks about how much better the krp500 at my parents place looks when they watch their TV soap opera dramas togheter... Btw I got that krp500 for my parents for 50£ due to the signal cable to the media box was faulty. Its a 5£ cable 😅 My brother paid I think around 1300£ for his 55" Guess who is most happy. Well they both are cause my brother has thoose ambiant light all over his apartment so he thinks it's awesome and my parents only watch broadcast TV so they can't really get any thing better on the marked 😄

You can't watch a 4K Dolby Vision film without going WOW, the Kuro does not compare, despite what some will say, it's a no contest!

Ohh its great alright, also a tech that is a decade newer, that we even have these talks prove the tweaked KRP's are quality. BUt if you put a 1080p movie the gap becomes much smaller. A mate has a C9, very capable display but the colours are awful imo, the PQ not as natural looking, skin-tones not that good etc. In games its simply cant deal with a kuro. But its a quality screen nonetheless. If I ever went oled it would be one with a true RGB structure. I agree hdr 4k is a huge boost.

Ohh its great alright, also a tech that is a decade newer, that we even have these talks prove the tweaked KRP's are quality. BUt if you put a 1080p movie the gap becomes much smaller. A mate has a C9, very capable display but the colours are awful imo, the PQ not as natural looking, skin-tones not that good etc. In games its simply cant deal with a kuro. But its a quality screen nonetheless. If I ever went oled it would be one with a true RGB structure. I agree hdr 4k is a huge boost.

What is really sad is that the color accuracy out of the box and the random panel lotteri on the lcd and oled is so bad compared to the overall build quality of the days back with the plasmas. But than again not one of the krp that I bought was used in the correct picture mode so Idk maybe people don't care it seems 🙄 (unless you buy a Panasonic oled ofc as they seem to be extremely good out of the box)

uhd bluray's is a huge boost in some movies, but in some cases it can actually be worse and colors and gamma can be off. But overall yes hdr is a great feature. The thing I care most about though are the movies that had a bad bluray transfer that they improved, and of course the added dolby atmos track 😁

What is really sad is that the color accuracy out of the box and the random panel lotteri on the lcd and oled is so bad compared to the overall build quality of the days back with the plasmas. But than again not one of the krp that I bought was used in the correct picture mode so Idk maybe people don't care it seems 🙄 (unless you buy a Panasonic oled ofc as they seem to be extremely good out of the box)

uhd bluray's is a huge boost in some movies, but in some cases it can actually be worse and colors and gamma can be off. But overall yes hdr is a great feature. The thing I care most about though are the movies that had a bad bluray transfer that they improved, and of course the added dolby atmos track 😁

Yes, and many film are upscaled to 4k, not true 4k....is that true? YEah the Pana oled's seem to be very awesome displays.

Yes, and many film are upscaled to 4k, not true 4k....is that true? YEah the Pana oled's seem to be very awesome displays.

That is correct. Normaly it's all the new cgi movies that are fake 😂 That does not mean they will not look good, so don't read to much into the fake vs real 4k discussions. There are alot of Web pages that list every movie, it's worth googling for some bed time reading :) But the good part is that alot of old movies gets a new restoration that they were to lousy to put effort into when they made the bluray version/or did a bad transfer with.

The uhd movies does have some bad part comming with it as mention in my other post and it's really sad that you actuly need to check disc review before you buy unless you are doing reviews yourself that is. Cause there are some that looks worse than the 1080p bluray counter part. Another unuser friendly thing is that, like on the q9fn you need to manually change the gamma on uhd movies (or any YouTube/netflix etc hdr source) if it's a 1000nits mastered movie or 4000. My guess is 0.1% do that. My current waste of life is going trough all the phase 1-4 uhd marvel movies 😂

Oh and to trow some more wood on the fire. 4k resolution really does not mean much on movies (unless you live inside the TV or have a projector), It's the extra bit rate from the 4k uhd that's making most of the difference for the eyes, and ofc how the transfer is done. 1 2 3 flame me but don't hate me 😂🔥 I have even done a review on this recently, but guess that's not for this thread :) Edit: not counting the hdr ofc, since that and dolby atmos is the main reason to get a 4k uhd disc imo. I was just talking about the 4k res bit of the disc here.

Last edited:
I am sure Dolby Vision true HDR 4K looks great on the latest screens but the vast majority of my viewing is not this type of material.

My Kuro KRP’s are still in my eyes the best screens for what I would call normal content viewing.

I am sure Dolby Vision true HDR 4K looks great on the latest screens but the vast majority of my viewing is not this type of material.

My Kuro KRP’s are still in my eyes the best screens for what I would call normal content viewing.

I don't think anyone watches a lot of Dolby vision hdr.
the vast majority watch sdr and pioneer krp is the best at sdr.

I don't think anyone watches a lot of Dolby vision hdr.
the vast majority watch sdr and pioneer krp is the best at sdr.

The contrast on a tweaked KRP is brutal, gives an illusion of hdr......whats it called micro contrast? Superb stuff, well and truly ahead of its time.

The contrast on a tweaked KRP is brutal, gives an illusion of hdr......whats it called micro contrast? Superb stuff, well and truly ahead of its time.

Is the tweaked Krp contrast much different to original contrast

Last edited:
Is the tweaked Krp contrast much different to original contrast

For me its better than original values, its def far far superior to an elevated mill with red tint thats for sure. Before I got the faint tint it was superb, far better than any display at that time bare none, but now that its tweaked I feel its a bit better, the mll is deeper too which effects colours etc. For me still the best 1080p display along with 500M......sadly no 4k and hdr, hey it is what it is.

For me its better than original values, its def far far superior to an elevated mill with red tint thats for sure. Before I got the faint tint it was superb, far better than any display at that time bare none, but now that its tweaked I feel its a bit better, the mll is deeper too which effects colours etc. For me still the best 1080p display along with 500M......sadly no 4k and hdr, hey it is what it is.

what voltage adjustments did you use. Was it Patrik’s

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom