Is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHOTOSHOP KID

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Dont know what the problem is but, I have just bought 16gb 3g on this forum, only thing is it came with no sim, no problem I thought, I will use the one out of my old mobile, thing is it wont go in the new iphone, so I have just been to Tesco to pick up another sim, same problem, it wont go in,

I put it in the plastic holder the correct way, but it only gos in about 3/4 of the way, and will not go any further, I dont want to use to much force, but it wont go in, I am right in thinking you dont need a special sim card for the iphone

I need help :lease:

not for the 3g you don't, should just be a normal sim that pops in there, have you had a little look into the slot if you can to see if anything has sneaked in and is blocking it

Are you putting it the correct way, to holder not the sim!

The pin hole for releasing the sim card holder should be on the left as you slide it into the phone, some do take an extra little push for some reason.

Thanks guys, nothing blocking the slot, I am putting it in the correct way, it just stops 3/4 of the way, Going to give it another go, thing is I dont want to force it.

does the holder go into the phone ok with out the sim card in it?

does the holder go into the phone ok with out the sim card in it?

One assumes it does, as that is presumably how he received it.

If he didn't, and he received the phone with the SIM tray removed, he may have a problem....

PHOTOSHOP KID said:
The sim tray fits fine without sim :mad:

The SIM may not be quite flat.

I am getting a little worried about this purchase, just checked the s/n on the box, and it is not the same as the one the seller gave me.

The s/n that was given to me checks out with Apple, it is guaranteed til end Sept, only thing is because I cannot connect the phone to a pc I cannot check the s/n is correct. by the way the phone is totally mint, not a mark in sight

I am getting quite upset now about this purchase, the seller has gone on holiday so no contact till he returns

Any advice

I am getting a little worried about this purchase, just checked the s/n on the box, and it is not the same as the one the seller gave me.

The s/n that was given to me checks out with Apple, it is guaranteed til end Sept, only thing is because I cannot connect the phone to a pc I cannot check the s/n is correct. by the way the phone is totally mint, not a mark in sight

I am getting quite upset now about this purchase, the seller has gone on holiday so no contact till he returns

Any advice

Some things to be aware of:

1. You don't need to connect to a PC to check the serial number. (Settings -> General -> About)
2. Does the iPhone turn on?
3. You don't need the SIM to be in the phone to connect to a PC OR turn the phone on
4. The seller may have had the phone replaced under warranty, which would mean the phone serial number is different than the one on the box (this is certainly the case with my 3GS)

Last edited:
Some things to be aware of:

1. You don't need to connect to a PC to check the serial number. (Settings -> General -> About)
2. Does the iPhone turn on?
3. You don't need the SIM to be in the phone to connect to a PC OR turn the phone on
4. The seller may have had the phone replaced under warranty, which would mean the phone serial number is different than the one on the box (this is certainly the case with my 3GS)

The phone turns on ok but says insert sim card, if I connect to itunes (pc) it say connect sim card, and will not go any further.

The phone turns on ok but says insert sim card, if I connect to itunes (pc) it say connect sim card, and will not go any further.

If the tray closes OK without a sim in it, then the obvious answer is the sim is faulty. Try another one, even another network just to make sure it fits.

FYI it should fit it like this:

__
/ |
| |
|__|

The SIM may not be quite flat.

agreed, the gold chip can sometimes come away from the card itself, look at it be over fussy about it being compeletly flat

I would tyry bending the sim slightly sides and try a bit harder, it might be one of the contacts inside sticking up a bit. Wiggle it while putting it in.

If the tray closes OK without a sim in it, then the obvious answer is the sim is faulty. Try another one, even another network just to make sure it fits.

FYI it should fit it like this:

__
/ |
| |
|__|

As I said before, I went to Tesco to buy another, same problem, no fit.

Sounds like it needs activating, which means it not-unlocked, so unless it was originally supplied by Tesco, you probably wont be able to use your Tesco SIM.

Can you get a torch and look down the SIM card slot to see if there are any visible obstructions?

When you do push the SIM card tray in (with the SIM) it is normal to get a little bit of resistance where the SIM slides into the contacts, but you shouldn't need to force it)

Can you get a torch and look down the SIM card slot to see if there are any visible obstructions?

Did you try this yet?

Sounds like it needs activating, which means it not-unlocked, so unless it was originally supplied by Tesco, you probably wont be able to use your Tesco SIM.

When you do push the SIM card tray in (with the SIM) it is normal to get a little bit of resistance where the SIM slides into the contacts, but you shouldn't need to force it)

it was sold as unlocked, when I plug in to pc I get, no sim card installed, insert a valid sim with no pin lock, to activate phone

the other info is IMEI XXXXXXX AND ICCID UNKNOWN Whats this?

If its still in warranty i would take it in to an Apple store if they cant get it going they will give you another iphone.

If its still in warranty i would take it in to an Apple store if they cant get it going they will give you another iphone.

Thing is, I cannot check the s/n
The s/n the seller gave me checks out, but I cannot check the phone itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom