Is it me? Why no 50Hz via PC VGA?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by NoDad, Aug 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just looked at the specs for the new Sony LCD TVs. 1920x1080 progressive @ 60Hz via the PC VGA input. This is true of virtually every TV with a VGA input.

Hundreds of millions of consumers use TV systems and hence DVDs and other PC sources like freeview which are 50Hz based.

What is the matter with manufacturers, it makes my :censored: blood boil.

I remember spending ages trying to get my Panny PTAE500 PJ to accept 50Hz. I did it eventually but had to put up with small black bands top and bottom.

Is it me being unreasonable, expecting a PAL TV to accept a 50Hz signal from a computer?

2. azirath

azirath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use the HDMI input, you will get 50Hz support. But unfortunately many TV's dont support 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI(or DVI->HDMI).

I actually dont think the TV manufacturers likes that people connect computers to their TVs, they probably feel we should be buying all kinds of buggy settopbox'es with all kinds of interesting restrictions.

I would suggest looking for a TV with a PC-friendly HDMI input, i prefer using a digital connection to a digital display :)

3. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    azirath, you're probably right.

I did drive my Panny PJ via DVI and it took me ages to get it working at 50Hz. The manual said it was not supported but with powerstrip I eventually got it going. 60Hz not a problem, but 50Hz again is not usually supported via DVI (obviously it is now with HDMI, now that DVDs and Sat are pumping out 50Hz).

4. 16to9

16to9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I completely agree - I spent ages trying to find one that would do exactly this. I even returned a Sammy R74 for the reason that it wouldn't.

The Hyundai Q321 (I own one) can be driven at very near 1:1 - mine is running at 1360x768 at 50Hz. Picture is great, especially from MCE. It's not HDMI but DVI.

The set does have other issues though, but for what I use it for it's a bargain at £600 and the picture looks great.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293464&page=211