Question Is it me? Picture quality issues with my new SUHD KS8000

Craig NL

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 49" KS8000 SUHD having read all the rave reviews. Having now had it for about a month now though, I have to say I am really quite disappointed with the picture quality. I was really expecting something quite special, and whilst the demo videos you can play from sites such as YouTube and the like recorded in 4K are impressive, I am not going to be watcing them for the majority of the time! I am living in the Netherlands and have a Cable service called Ziggo using a cable box (Horizon) which broadcasts a fair amount of HD (1080P/1080i) channels. However, the upscaling quality I see is pretty crap. The main thing I see is especially with peoples faces and features whereby they look like they are painted (kind of like watercolour or pastel) and often a kind of 'noise' or wavering heat haze. Basically not sharp and detailed at all. Also, despite trying to mess with the different picture settings and expert settings there is still a kind of washed out look to the screen display (almost like there is a semi-opaque white filter over the top). It's like the "before" image that Samsung shows in their demo videos when comparing the improved "after" SUHD quality. I have had the cable company out to check the box and signal...all ok. I also contacted Samsung who remoted into the TV and said they couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, and if I still could, then I should take screen pics with my phone, put them on a USB, so they could see what I meant.
Has anyone else experienced this? Am I going mad? Am I expecting too much from the upscaling processing of the Samsung TV? Could i have a faulty TV or One Connect box? I don't know, and am growing increasingly frustrated with the fact that I have just spent over 2K on a 4K TV and the picture quality is worse than a Samsung 32" 1080P LED TV that I still have in another room. Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome.

Show some pics, impossible to say anything without seeing what you're talking about

The details do look rather smooth but it maybe the source? Try setting the TV to game mode which will remove most of the processing and see if there is an improvement.

The details do look rather smooth but it maybe the source? Try setting the TV to game mode which will remove most of the processing and see if there is an improvement.
I tried that and it didn't help much at all, peoples face features still looked 'painted' and in games mode there was just more digital noise/fuzziness. :(

I tried that and it didn't help much at all, peoples face features still looked 'painted' and in games mode there was just more digital noise/fuzziness. :(

Have you tested from another source? Just because a channel is HD doesn't mean its going to have great quality, not all HD is created equal.

Have you tested from another source? Just because a channel is HD doesn't mean its going to have great quality, not all HD is created equal.
Well, not having access to a UHD source, the only things I have tried are my Apple TV (1080P) and 4K video sources on YouTube. The 4K videos look great, or as far as i can tell they do. The Apple TV or Netflix content looks ok but still has elements of that smoothing effect on peoples features, but nowhere near as much as the cable TV HD content. I guess, I am really trying to understand if this performance is the 'norm' for a SUHD TV? If it is, then I either have to put up and shut up or...go for a 1080P TV until there is more generally available 4K content, which may be years. Sadly, while all reviews may rave about these TV's, this may be so if you are going to purchase UHD Blu-Rays (I'm not). I guess I am just naive and had expected better, but i guess the TV broadcast companies have to play catchup to the tech

From what I've seen, there shouldn't be any negative effects on a 1080p image being upscaled, tv makers know that this is what most people will be watching even on a 4k tv. Yes it will look a bit smoother close up since the pixels are much smaller but there shouldn't be any weird effects being created. I'd wager it's just the quality of the hd channels you're watching is not great and you're paying more attention to it on the new tv.

they do look way to over processed. I assume you have turned off digital clean view and mpeg filters?...and lowering sharpness will help get rid of the too sharp edges....appologies if you have already done these.... not sure what else it could be.?... i was thinking about a ks8000 as well but wasn't happy about the lack of 3D and will wait and see if your problem improves as well!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom