Is it me or does VGA displays a better picture than HDMI?

Sandy 8oy

Standard Member
Hi everyone! I got my Elite up and running using the HDMI cable on my 26inch Samsung LCD TV but I think the picture is not as smooth and sharp as the VGA cable. Does anyone else also think the same? Many thanks for your replies

[email protected]

It can only be down to the way your TV is set up or the way your TV handles the two connection types. There should be no difference in quality whatsoever between the two connections all else being equal.

Spoonman2

Also it CAN be down to the make of the tv aswell.

Both Panasonic plasma's I have owned gave a fantastic component picture and I personally found the VGA wasn't as good.

On the other hand I had an LG plasma and the component was no-where near as good as the VGA output.

All of the above tests were done with official Miroshaft cables and with at least one other person's eyes testing the screen also.

Just another slant on it.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
I find VGA better than component on my Samsung 40" from my 360 premium. However, I find my PS3 better via component than HDMI.

opo101

Set up my elite last night and i found that the general picture is amazing. Playing pro evo was really good.

However, i found that text wasn't as sharp as VGA on my old 360.

Is it just me?

Jonstone

Is it possible that your tv's have overscan on the hdmi input whereas they don't with vga?

My tv has bad overscan on hdmi and I guess this could lead to a slight blurring of the picture.

Blackbolt360

It can only be down to the way your TV is set up or the way your TV handles the two connection types. There should be no difference in quality whatsoever between the two connections all else being equal.

Its down to the native resolution of the TV. If the TV's native res is 1366x768, then a VGA signal at 1360x768 will be pixel mapped 1:1 with a 3 pixel wide black border either side (unnoitceable as its less than 2mm wide). HDMI is stretching a 720p picture or shrinking a 1080i/p picture down to fit the physical pixels which is why it doesnt look as sharp as VGA 1:1 mapped.

HDMI is only better where the TV's native resolution matches that of the HDMI resolutions, so 1080p is the best example, a 1920x1080 native TV will look stunning with HDMI at 1080p from an elite.

my v is 1920x1080 native and I have to say, VGA looks better to me. settings need adjusting perhaps

Crovon

Distinguished Member
I have a samsung 40" M87 and I have to say that on my Elite the PQ via HDMI is superb. It seems more vibrant and sharper than when I had the premium connected via VGA.

Overall exactly what I was hoping for :thumbsup:

I had to tinker with the settings slighty, but thats the case for most things anyway.

SeeNoWeevil

Is it possible that your tv's have overscan on the hdmi input whereas they don't with vga?

My tv has bad overscan on hdmi and I guess this could lead to a slight blurring of the picture.
I'd agree, 1:1 vga probably looks better than overscanned HDMI. Depends if your screen is overscanning or not.

m1ket

Totally depends on the tv and how tuned the picture setting are for example to much sharpness or contrast could make a big difference

SeeNoWeevil

Totally depends on the tv and how tuned the picture setting are for example to much sharpness or contrast could make a big difference
Especially considering vga usually bypasses all settings. There are so many factors as to why one input could look better than the other.

Dazzyman

Novice Member
Aye VGA you wont have sharpness filters etc.. as a general rule so that can affect how it will look via HDMI. Ive gone to HDMI (from VGA and that from component as I got ghosting on compnent) as traded my 360 in for an Elite and I notice a difference over VGA. It aint massive between 10-20% but I get it more defined in text etc.. the moment I step up to 1080p and use full 1:1 though the difference then becomes massive for me.

EDDS

I have a samsung 40" M87 and I have to say that on my Elite the PQ via HDMI is superb. It seems more vibrant and sharper than when I had the premium connected via VGA.

Overall exactly what I was hoping for :thumbsup:

I had to tinker with the settings slighty, but thats the case for most things anyway.

i have the the same tv and i think its shaper using the vga cable, but the colours are better with hdmi.

mind sharing your settings?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom