1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it me, or do KEF egg stands suck!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by galewis, Jan 30, 2003.

1. galewis

galewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a pair of stands for the KEF eggs. The way the egg actually connects to the stand is really poor in terms of design. I can't seem to get the tiny allen bolt to tighten the egg to the stand sufficiently. It just doesn't seem 'isolated' properly which doesn't seem right for a company of KEf's standing. Am I doing something wrong, or do others feel the same?

2. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The weight of the eggs does seem too much for the mounting design. I did get them to hold but you really have to crank that nut,

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had the screw part of the top of the stand shear clean off on me.
    I litterally just put my hand to touch the speaker and it (the speaker) just toppled over.

Luckily it landed on the sofa so no damage was done and the company that sold me the stand sent me a replacement without any quibbles.

4. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep I just bought a set of eggs last week and had the stands on trial but sent them back as they didn't seem up to the job.I ended up fixing the speakers to the ceiling via their own small mounts and am well pleased with the results.

5. sezzi

sezzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any ideas or alternatives to the kef stands do alphason do a compatible one ?
    what is every one else using ?

6. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. It is definitely poor value/quality for money. I ordered 4 stands and with one of them I have problems to keep the vertical bar perpendicular to the floor!

7. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I brought a pair of Kef stands for the eggs and i've basically payed £90 for a piece of junk. Espically have a child of a 18 months needless to say he walked into the stands and it wobbles all over the place so there lying under the bed at the minute anyone want to buy them !!!!

8. lurkalot

lurkalot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried some Alphason ss20s last night - nowhere near strong enough. The speakers are a bit like nodding dogs on top of the stands!

I'm still looking for alternatives to the Kef stands, but have found nothing suitable to date.

9. lurkalot

lurkalot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have just mounted 4 of my "Eggs" on AVF stands (http://www.avf.co.uk/product.php?cat=AF&product=P6171) from Argos (only in black) - £30 a pair.

Much heavier and more stable than the Alphason ones I tried (they are supposed to support speakers up to 20Kg). I ended up bolting the standard egg bases to the small mounting plates supplied with the stands.

Overall v. happy. Speakers are now securely mounted directly over the main stand support.

I don't know how they compare for stability with the Kef ones with regard to toddler impact! My guess is that they could still be knocked over if hit hard enough.

For £30 I think they are worth a go, and if you don't like them Argos will refund within 16 days anyway!