Is it me, or are films not scary any more?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Simon6776, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is it me, because I am too old, and have seen it all, or are movies just not that scary any more? I haven't seen a film for years, where I have been on the edge of my seat, or jumped out of my skin. Sure there have been the odd moments, but do we get immune to cinema shocks as we get older? I love a good straight horror film, but keep ending up slightly disappointed, especially with the latest batch. Wolf Creek was OK, but ultimately a let down, due to not enough killings and gore, and I have just seen High Tension (aka Switchblade Romance / Sisters), and that had moments, but was ultimately disappointing due to the stupid ending. Going back a bit, Cabin Fever was another one which promised loads of shocks and gore, but I found myself detached watching it. Wrong Turn was quite toe curlingly tense in places, and Hostel looks good, but I'm not expecting a miracle. I want that feeling of relief at turning the light on after a movie, that feeling of being safe back in the real world, and then to be a little nervous about going into a darkened room... and just making certain there's no one in the wardrobe! Any recommendations...?

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    House of wax is good, and for pure jumpiness white noise,

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I know I'm being difficult, but both of those are only 15 cert, which is off-putting from the start.

4. dannius

dannius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +356
    If you liked Wrong Turn then The Hills Have Eyes looks pretty good.

I think the last really good scary film I watched was What Lies Beneath a few years back, although Saw is good. Also The Ring and The Grudge were quite scary in a J-horror remake stylee.

5. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    :nono: :suicide: they are scary not bloody,

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, looking forward to The Hills Have Eyes, and What Lies Beneath did have some scary moments - it was a bathtub scene if I remember rightly. Saw is good, and Saw II come to that, but I still wasn't scared!! I think it has to be an 18 cert (or US Unrated), otherwise it's just too mild. I'm not talking about the likes of Driller Killer, Last House On The Left, etc, either, as they were just crap, although I have to say, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre still makes me uneasy.

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Lol! :D It has to be both!! Thanks though, those are two I haven't seen. :)

8. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have never found this to be the case. I would imagine this would vary considerably depending on your system that you are playing the films on and/ or obviously your expectations from todays recorded material??

9. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you have not seen it already then have a look at Suspiria. I have just bought the R1 limited editon set (limited to 60K :rolleyes:) which is an excellent version to have.

When first watched I was disappointed deciding other films have surpassed it in many ways now. There is a reason behind the film. If you get the box set and watch the extra disc it explains things.

On reflection, it had good parts and I think watching the extra disc helped.

The music "chant" throughout the film gets into you head for a while, be warned. There is some pretty heavy gore with lots of obvious red paint etc.

I cannot "strongly" recommend the film but if you like horror and have not seen it then you should give it a go, it is certainly different. Perhaps you can post your thoughts sometime.

10. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I saw Susperia some time ago, and remember the music (it's the music in TCM which gets me), but as you say, lots of obvious red paint, and would seem quite dated now. There was one horrible film I saw around that time, and that was The Beyond. I've never been a fan of Fulci, but that scene in the library with the tongue and the spider did stay with me for some time! I don't like spiders, or white eyes, so that one did unsettle me at the time.

11. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry, I'm slightly confused - what have you never found to be the case? My system is a Sony 32" TV, Yamaha DSP-A5 DTS 5.1 amp, Sony DVP-NS955V DVD player, Bose surround speakers, and a Yamaha SW320 Sub-woofer. Not the latest, or best, but perfectly adequate for a normal living room. Maybe my expectations are too high - or perhaps when you've seen so many films, you eventually become immune?

12. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    No, I think as you get older different things scare you. For example I just watched the opening mins of The Descent the other day (had to turn it off as one of my boys woke up) but (spoiler):
    the family crash their car head on with another on a country road killing the husband driver by being impaled by steel tubing from the other truck. I think the children in the back also died.:eek:
    Now as a family man it wasn't just the gory elements that scared me it was putting myself into the same situation that got to me, not just then when I watched it but still up to this moment of typing.

13. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, there are some that get me like that too - like in Leon, where Gary Oldman shoots the little boy... :( OK, I would never be in that situation (hopefully), but the screen death of a child is always upsetting.

14. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    If your not being scared your clearly watching the wrong movies.

Hollywood dont do scary, they do blood now & a couple of jumps.
    Nothing listed so far I would call true horror.

I'm afraid now my friend you have to look to the Asian market, there are some (IMO) truely scary movies there.

One's that should be on your to watch list would be...

Ju-On series (2 x TV movies & 2 x Cinema Movies)
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Dark Water
    Ring Series
    Acacia
    Cursed
    Phone
    Kairo: Pulse
    Gemini
    Evil Dead Trap
    The Eye

Those films had a lasting effect on me, especially the Ju-On movies, they have been the only films I've ever seen to truely scare me & give me trouble sleeping.

I dont do Hollywood horror anymore because they just dont scare me, I look to Asia for my fixes.

Hope those are of some use?

Neil

15. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The House of Wax remake was suprisingly fun, but its not very scary.

I'd agree with the above post concerning Asian films.

Also, the only american movie to scare me in the last few years has been Mulholland Drive, which isnt actualy a horror film, but it freaked me out.

16. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I agree, nothing coming out of hollywood has scared me for a long time. I'd have to go right back to Alien for that...which is why I leave it so long between viewings - if only you could wipe your mind after watching a film so you got that first viewing experience again :)

Some Asian scary films are ok though, definitely better than hollywood stuff.

17. peterpatch

peterpatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think the Japanese horror films are some of the best horror films around just now. They don't always have alot of blood and guts in them but they play with your mind a lot. Personally, haunted house films scare the crap out of me and I'm 37. The Legend of Hell House still sent shivers up my back when I watched it recently.but Maybe the Horror film has went the way of the Western......but I hope not.;)

18. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I think it's more down to the fact that we've just seen it all before and nothing is original anymore. Plus the things that scare are the things you don't see.

19. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,534
    I know a lot of people think its pap, but the last film that truely scared me was the Blair Witch Project, I could not get the ending out of my head for a while.

20. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I watched this last year on reccomendation from my brother and was also disappointed. It just seemed so outdated and the dubbing did not help! :thumbsdow However there is a good use of colour in the film and as you say the soundtracks is excellent. I actually preferred another Argento film (forget the name now but was about a serial killer, started off on a train)

You mean fun in the sense of seeing Paris Hilton suffering a horrible death...? :devil: :devil: :rotfl:

With regards to films been scary, i think as others have said it's a case of nothing really new happening, they are either remakes or rehashs of ideas already done, i also think that de-sensitisation (sp?) plays a role.

I watched Hostel at the cinema last night and while a good film, i was not scared just rather disturbed! Maybe it was the fact that while on screen people were paying to torture human beings, i myself had paid to watch it happen! :)

Rob

21. j98

j98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Another vote for Dark Water (original) here. Not particularly terrifying but very atmospheric and immersive. Also The Eye and the original Ju-On The Grudge are well worth watching.

And don't forget, the rating says nothing about a film's scariness!

PS: Did anyone else find the first 10 minutes of Darkness Falls scary (in the kid's bedroom)? Or shouldn't I admit that? I HATED the rest of the film, but for some reason that bit worked for me!

22. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,738
    Terrifying..there is still some of that i haven't seen, toooo scary. Also found The Grudge [remake] unwatchable in parts, even scarier.

23. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Very true.

The original King Kong had women literally fainting in the aisles.

It's now shown on Saturday mornings for the kids (who just laugh).

I remember being scared stiff by Quatermass on the TV.

Looking at the old recordings today, they just seem pathetic.

I suppose it's progress (of sorts).

24. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Scary films are few and far between, but the way to go is definitely the Asian movies route, without doubt! :)

- Ringu (The original Japanese version of "Ring", is scary as hell! Best watched, late at night, on your own, with no lights! :eek: )
    - Cannibal Holocaust
    - Audition
    - Dark Water (Again, the Japanese original, not the Gore Verbinski remake)
    - Phone (Isn't too bad, but is more eerie than scary.)
    - Any episode of "Barney: The Purple Dinosaur" (which will probably mentally scar you for life!)

Pooch

25. j98

j98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'll have to check that out then!

26. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thank guys, on two counts. One that I'm not the only one who thinks it's because we've seen it all before, and two, the Asian recommendations. I do want blood and guts as well as scary, but some of those may be worth a look. I do have a little bit of a mental block when it comes to foreign films. I think it's because I have difficulty getting immersed in the movie, while trying to follow the subtitles, but I'll give some of those a shot. Not sure about Cannibal Holocaust - those old video nasties were mostly just crap, and the 'special effects' were so low budget they were laughable, but I'm generalising, not having actually seen CH.

27. rhythmslave

rhythmslave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    As a few people have brought up that Asian Horror is the way to go, I thought I would add a few titles to the list. Japan are not the only producers of good horror films, as Korea has produced quite a few recently. Phone and Tale of Two Sisters seem to be the main titles known to most people, so here are my recommendations:

Sorum
    R-Point
    Into The Mirror
    The Ring Virus (Korean remake of Ringu)
    Tell Me Something
    Unborn But Forgotten
    Face
    The Uninvited
    Wishing Stairs (Whispering Corridors 3)
    Bunshinsaba (same Director as Phone)
    The Hypnotised
    The Ghost
    The Doll Master
    Cello
    The Wig
    Voice (Whispering Corridors 4)
    The Red Shoes

28. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    Be warned the Remake while being a VERY REMAKE good is nowhere near as good as the original IMO
    If you've seen the original (& I'm assuming you have by your previous post) then I personally wouldnt bother.

The film was basically made for those of us who dont do subtitles & is pretty much a scene for scene remake.
    Out of the 2 I'd go for the original everytime.

Neil

29. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    blair witch is one of the best imo.

watch it in the dark, on your own, then go into the woods.....

i dare ya :D

i've been out hunting in the woods in the pitch black, and even having a gun does'nt make you feel safe with all those noises about. then again i would still go into the woods just for the crack :rolleyes:

i put myself with them in the film though, makes all the difference :)

"IT" is a personal fave for a freaky film, and quite terrifying if you have a clown phobia :devil:

30. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What about Battle Royale? Anyone seen it?