Is it lounge, sitting room, front room, reception room or what?

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
my parents always called it drawing room which seemed rather daft as we never did any drawing in it,I call it whatever takes my fancy but usually lounge because it has fewer letters and because it has a settee in it.I am told lounges are usually in airports, though.I am also told toilets are not small rooms but apparatus normally found in the smallest room .Sodding nomenclature

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)
At one (brief) point in this house we did have a lounge, a sitting room and a reception as different rooms (two of which were front rooms:)) . But that was more to do with a surplus of sofas and a lack of a dining room table at the time.

Since then one of the rooms has become the house IT suite, we've lost a room (careless I know) and are now left with what we call the 'lounge' or possibly 'front room'

Our oddest named room, is our top floor (third story) - entirely open plan - which is a combination of adult and childrens play areas (xbox, drum kits, guitars, craft area etc and the place I'm building a 3d printer a the moment) - which gets called either 'the top floor' (logical) or a more mysterious 'upstairs'.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Drawing Room is short for Withdrawing Room isn't it, as in, let's retire to the withdrawing room and all that.

The thread makes me think of:

"Do you call it a 'Living Room', or a 'Lounge'?"
"Neither"
"Let's go there"

Lee

living room here also

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
We have two reception rooms downstairs - the children's room, and the television room :)

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
I forgot living room but i think from now on i'll use the term front room as we have two reception areas and one is in the back with another sofa

spudtator

Mine is a living room. Though it could also be called a lounge, as that's how I spend most of my time in there.

NewMan

Can't help but think this is another "my family are such snobs but I'm not" thread, but in the event it's not, I call it the lounge... Grew up calling it the "front room" at my grandparent's house (which, as someone else mentioned above, was odd because it was at the back of the house, and the real front room was called the "back room" - bloody Irish! :D ), and the "living room" at my parent's house - which I also found odd because surely you're alive whatever room you're in... Until you're not... :rolleyes:

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Living Room, but we also have a Family Room attached to the open plan kitchen! Never had a "Family Room" before, but we no longer have a Dining Room, as the table for dining on is in the Living Room!

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Living Room, but we also have a Family Room attached to the open plan kitchen! Never had a "Family Room" before, but we no longer have a Dining Room, as the table for dining on is in the Living Room!

ours is in the back room together with open plan kitchen, av setup and large sofa .Bit eccentric but it works

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Lounge for us. I was told the basic breakdown is;

Lounge- all purpose front room usually incorporating a Hi-Fi or TV as well as chairs
Sitting Room- Just that- collection of chairs, and a small table. Something for a coffee morning
Drawing Room- Bigger version of sitting room usually able to accommodate a piano.
Living Room- Something dreamed up by IKEA.

inzaman

Front room for us as ours is actually at the front of the house :cool:

MIghtyG

Living room - day to day TV watching and general chatting - not so fancy
Lounge - rarely used living room done up a little fancier

imo anyway

bigtruck

Distinguished Member
We have a family room where we spend most of our time, houses my computer, a tv etc, bookcase & lots of toys. We also have the living room, which I suppose is the main lounge, at the front of the house which I hardly ever use these days unless i want to watch something in particular on the larger screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021