IS IT LEGAL?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Starburst, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    re Contract.<br />I honestly don't know but maybe a call to your local CAB will prove helpful. You also had the option of cancelling the DD from your bank/bs after 12 payments had been collected.

As for the rest, SKY is only responsible for their own channels when it comes to compression. Granted they could put pressure on 3rd party channels but at the end of the day it's out of their hands. A good installation should give you excellent signal quality/strength which will handle all but the extreme weather conditions and anything less points to a bodged install.<br />While it sounds like a good idea just to pay for the channels you want in practice it means much higher subscription costs and many channels(some you like)going under due to a drop in revenue.

2. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After waiting for three months to cancel my years contract with SKY and after receiving a letter to announce a price hike I decided to read my contract regarding cancellation. On it was the usual notice informing me there would be a surcharge for cancelling earlier than the year’s contractual period and a note to say a month’s notice was required to cancel. On the first day of the eleventh month I rang SKY to cancel – they said: “I’m sorry Sir you can’t cancel at the moment as you are still in Contract.” I pointed out to them that the contract just says 1-year min contract and 1 month to cancel and I was giving them 1 month to cancel.<br />They disagreed emphatically and told me I should read the contract more closely.<br />I have been charged for 13 months!<br />Does anyone know if this is legal?

Whatever the outcome, I think everyone who takes up SKY needs to know this!

As far as the service is concerned, the level of digital compression can be diabolical at times with freezing and blocking every time it rains.

How many viewers just want to pay for the channels they require, and not be duped into Packages?

Jagular

3. edw

edw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gave my termination notice within a few weeks of joining.

They issued me a letter saying I could not do that.

I then sent a letter to their general manager informing them of my disastisfaction, giving them an objective statement of my problem, a request that they remedy it, and the words "THIS IS A NOTICE OF TERMINATION".

No reply was received.

No attempt at reconcilation was made.

About ten months into the contract, I sent a short email using their form on their web site, asking for confirmation that they would terminate my account on a certain date.

Amazingly, I got a letter in the post one month later that said my contract would terminate on ______.

<br />They did not actually say the date just a line !

As a precaution, I cancelled the DD.

One day before the termination date, Sky became blocked.

The morale is that they are in the wrong, they are using intimidation to lock in their customers, and they hope you will forget your problems and put up with what ever they want.

<br />Mr Prebble of OnDigital said:

"There are two terms of business with Sky - Servile and Hostile"

How indeed true!