1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by UselessPratt, May 1, 2003.

1. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I keep upgrading my PC ready for the next generation of games,
    ready, waiting, ready, waiting......
    Is it just me and the games I play? I mean they never seem to arrive! I am a Doom, Quake and Half-Life player myself. I upgrade my hardware every six months in anticipation, the games just never arrive. God I am so bored of playing Quake Arena. How long has it been now? Three years going on four? This is crazy. It is fast approaching TOO LONG to develop these games.

:boring:

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I let the games denote system specs, not the other way around. If a really great game comes out that my system can't handle, that's when I upgrade, and not before.

But I'm just a cheap %$x!£$* :)

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I too get frustrated with development times but I think they are a necessary evil if u want a quality product. What I object to is the length of time u have to wait for a particular hyped game and when it finally gets released it's as buggy as hell and crap to boot (daikatana anyone- never bought personally but got slated by everyone) i only hope duke nukem forever is ok when thats released ( only 5 years in development so far!) and all the others like doom deus ex2 and the like.
    there have been some good FPS titles recently if you've not played check out:-

No one lives forever 2
    Medal of honour allied assault
    Return to castle wolfenstein.
    Black Hwak Down ( Multiplayer - haven't played single player yet)
    Morrowind (if u like rpgs in first person)

4. MAXPING

MAXPING

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

MOHAA + The spearhead expansion pack are great games .
    I am playing Black Hawk Down at the moment and have just finished the single player.
    The online is also great but i am on 56k so am looking foreward to my BB connection getting enabled !

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh then instead of upgrading every six months, invest in a compressor cooler like I will (once the damn Athlon64 is released) and a watercooling kit for your graphics card and mobo chipset. That way you will always stay ahead of the game in terms of raw speed ^_^

As for games taking so long to develop... Testing needs to be done as no-one likes millions of PC patches to DL. Same for the net code which needs to be tweaked and the overal balance of the game. Add that to graphical glitches, unbalanced levels and weapons, countless cutscenes and voice overs, scalable 3D engine, 5.1 sound, dev support, server support etc etc and theres a lot of work to do behind the scenes.

I guess thats the fault of the current demand that games have to look good and sound good before gameplay is ever mentioned, hence the rising development costs on propriety 3D engines and tools, testing etc etc. Besides.. Its not too long a wait for Doom III, Deus Ex II, Half Life II etc... Just keep on playing Quake till then ^_^