1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it just me............

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by gmt steve, Apr 7, 2003.

1. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is it just me or does any one else have this problem. Briefly, I have always had slightly inferior reception on analogue BBC2, characterised by slowly scrolling faint horizontal lines, especially noticable in dark scenes. This was a problem since pretty much all I ever watch on TV is stuff like X-Files, 24 and Taken.
    So I bought an old Philips OnDigital box from a friend to see if things were better in the land of 1 and 0s. Of course generally they were, except with 24. This and only this program suffers from a terrible mosaic effect, with occasional blocking.
    So, OK I think, it's an 'old' box, I'll get something better. I took the plunge and bought a Pace Twin HDD box to kill two little birdys with one wodge of cash.......No change. Still crap on 24. Signal strength is 70% and everything else on the BBC MUX is fine, what gives? Does anyone else have this problem.
    ps. I'm served by Winter Hill

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital Freeview is very fussy about signal quality - especially impulse interference. Basically, if it works with your existing aerial system, great. If it doesn't, start thinking about improving your aerial system, starting with the cable. Fit double-shielded satellite cable from aerial to Freeview box in one continuous run. Keep the aerial and cable away from sources of interference (main road traffic and mains wiring).

If that doesn't help, fit a more suitable aerial. As I recall, the lowest Winter Hill channel is Channel 5 analogue at around UHF 45 so you need an aerial that is optimised for 40 upwards to get everything. (Check this as my memory's not good!)

More info in "The Freeview Bible" at http://www.The-Cool-Book-Shop.com

Fman

3. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That doesn't explain why the other channels on the BBC MUX are fine as are the other programs on the BBC2 digital. I suppose what I'm really asking is if anyone is aware of a lower bitrate for 24? It's galling since 24 is actually filmed in Hi-Definition.

4. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've noticed it before.

Last nights episode on 3 didn't seem too bad. But earlier episodes have really annoyed me with mosaic patterning.

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    My pictures fine apart from the pixels on certain programs,nothing to do with my aerial which is a loop off the portable hung on a nail on the wall.

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    NO!
    The poor reception you had on anologue was co channel interference.

7. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So ask Pace customer support about your problem.
    customer.support@pace.co.uk

But I'm pretty sure they'll give you the same answer as I did. Aerial and cable.

Fman