1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it just me ????

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by spikeyboyo, Apr 16, 2002.

1. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since ive been in the market for a new tv ive been reading many threads on this forum trying to find out which model to buy.

Me like many others seem to now be thinking that every TV has problems - i real nightmare when ive got money buring a hole in my pocket and the need for a new TV.

As everyone seems to suggest best way to check out a TV is demo one for yourself - and i have done this with many models and makes. However i have never seen any of the problems people go on about on these forums - including deoming many different Tosh ZP18's

Now my question is - is it just me or are people on this forum just going looking for an small, slight problem with there TV sets once they get them either just to join the band wagon of saying my Tv has a fault or just nit picking at any slight fault (geometry diviates at botom right corner by 0.0000001 mm acording to the laser measuring tool they have bought to check their set) is my eye site so bad that i cant see these problems.

I currently have a Philips 32" model - sure the geomerty isnt perfect - but then it doesnt bother me that much - i also use many a computer monitor - can all you PC users state that the geomerty of your monitor is spot on ??? just i never seem to read people complaining about monitors not being perfect.

Spike

2. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there is a bit of that.

Plus having now bought a Toshiba 32ZP18P to achive some of the problems that have been listed here I have to set-up the set badly.

Such as the screen being lighter near the edges I can only get this on my set if I set the brightness about 20-30% too high. So there is also the problem of the set's being badly adjusted, when any set will look bad.

Also I have seen some comments about smearing, now I can get it to do this on analog transmissions if I wind the Sharpness down to about 30, which funnily enough is one of the settings which is being banded around on this site. Set at about 14 I get non of that and the picture is nice a crisp.

I am currently waiting for my New copy of Ultimate DVD which I will then set-up the set correctly and post my findings on this forum about how to achive the "features" everyone talks about and how to set-up the set correctly.

Some people use the excuse that different rooms will need different settings, well this is true for daylight if you have the set opposite a south facing window, but not evening viewing most people's settings should be fairly similar with DVD movies.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree with orange.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only comment on my monitor, there are various features on the model i have so that you can get the geometry spot on, i.e... trapeziod, pincusion, side pin balance etc.

It was a while back when someone suggested that all TV's should have these features, think the out come was that it would be far to expensive to implement. But it would be a great feature would it not....

As for my set, it has to be the best iv'e had for geometry, it's spot on, and have none of the faults or problems other members have mentioned. BTW it's a Sony 36FS70, cracking set.

I have also set the TV up so as i have a picture setting for daytime viewing and one for nightime.

bob

5. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I happened upon this forum before buying a PL1 a few months back and I did get the impression that some people were nit-picking and being unreasonable. I've since revised that opinion though and the simple fact is:- the problems mentioned are REAL problems and demonstrable to anyone prepared to look for them. If you are willing to 'live with' these problems then that's your choice and I agree that some things are acceptable (slight geometry deviations are bearable IMO and I can put up with certain other quirks as long as they're subtle).

I actually disregarded some negative feedback on here concerning the PL1 (pre-purchase) so you can imagine how foolish I felt when it arrived with enough serious flaws to write a book about!. Some would argue that too much information is a dangerous thing, but if it wasn't for people on here pointing out the same faults (with the PL1 and especially the JVC S2 I subsequently bought), I would have probably just assumed that my set-up/cabling was to blame. The fact is that some problems/faults aren't immediately noticeable in showroom conditions, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't present!.

Part of the reason for all the vitriol around here is the slack quality control exercised by some companies (or the complete lack of it!) and the "You will buy this crap and NEVER speak to us again!" attitude of many retailers doesn't help either. Basically though, modern TV's are constantly advertised as "Amazing" and "Sensational", so it's no wonder that people are disappointed when a shockingly imperfect piece of hardware takes over their living room (as they wave goodbye to a much older, trouble-free model).

I've also noticed that there seems to be a conspiracy of ignorance every time a new technology comes out. The benefits of the innovation are shouted from the rooftops, while the (numerous) side-effects are slyly swept under the carpet. Most (ill-informed) consumers pay extra for a 100Hz model simply because it's touted as an 'improvement' and the only thing that the salesman/advert will say is "Flicker free" or "Higher refresh rate".

A salesman would never warn a potential customer that football looks like it's being played underwater on some 100Hz sets and they certainly wouldn't inform them of any reported faults (scrolling/static bars etc). BTW- Don't assume that I'm a 100Hz hater because I'm not and (like most things), you have to take it on a case-by-case basis, but thankfully this forum helps people to differentiate between the good/bad examples. A salesman wouldn't mention the countless issues connected with enhanements/flatscreens either, so again, forums to the rescue.

It's not particularly relevant (and I'm rambling now!), but the (cheap) portable TV I had in my bedroom 10 years ago didn't have appalling geometry (Flatscreen?!), it didn't show artefacts or comet-trails (100Hz?!) it didn't shimmer/block/moire (pic enhancements?!) and most of all it was fit for absolutely ALL uses. Virtually any recent set you can mention will be good with 'x' source, but poor with 'y'. Even favourable appraisals on here usually end with "The only thing is....insert quirk here".

Now, all of the above is an over-generalisation, but I think the basic gist is undeniably true. This forum is one of the few resources available which helps consumers to make a truly informed choice, so I for one hope the nit-picking continues! (it'd be no better than a glossy two-page promo otherwise)....