• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is it just me?

Buckster666

Is it just me being to picky. I have had my new pio 43" XDE this week, set it all up, but notice a kind of wierd yellow/purple flash on the outline on certain things while watching it (have tv on 100 Mhz, is that best to do?), anyone else seen this? or could offer any advice?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

Most plasma's do it to a certain extent - some people are susceptible to it, some aren't. I guess it's a bit like DLP rainbows in that respect - although much much less invasive!

It's caused because the three phosphors in the panel have slightly different decay times.

A secondary cause could be the way the panel produces the different pixel brightnesses by rapidly shutting off pixels to make them darker and leaving them illuminated longer for brighter images.

I see green flashes on my Panasonic plasma if I'm watching it out of the corner of my eye or looking at something else in the room. I only ever see them on dark images, and I never ever see them when I'm looking directly at the panel.

Steve

DFL

hi, i don't think you should have it set at 100Hz. UK tv is broadcast at 50Hz and NTSC is 60Hz.

There is information around that if you want to display native resolution eg on PHD8 - 1024 x 768 it can only be done at 60Hz. For the tv to do this with 50Hz would cause distortion. But if you have it switched to 100hz then the mathematics is much simpler to double than to get from 60 to 50. Kind of complicated. I don't understand it all myself.

computers offer different Hz frequencies as well. I think they work well at 75 and 100.

Anyone else shed light on this. There are definately some threads on this deep in the crevasses of AVforums.

DC

I have seen something similar watching Sin City (HD) It's fine when looking straight at the screen but if you start darting your eyes about you get a yellowy flash.

Buckster666

DC you hit the nail on the head there mate, It's mainly in Dark scenes of movies when it happens.

Anyone know if this is cureable by a firmware upgrade, or as my plasma is new it will "sort itself out" after the 200+ hours intial period, or will it be better when hook things up by HDMI?

Also what is best settings for the Pro Adjust tools, like DNR, pure cinema, etc?

DC

I have only seen this whilst watching Sin City - I have tried a few tweaks to the settings to no avail. Anyone else with this problem on the 436?

damo_in_sale

Buckster666 said:
Also what is best settings for the Pro Adjust tools, like DNR, pure cinema, etc?

Turn them all off and never touch them again, ever!

lunddal

Standard Member
DC said:
I have seen something similar watching Sin City (HD) It's fine when looking straight at the screen but if you start darting your eyes about you get a yellowy flash.

I don't see it while watching TV (cable box connected via Scart) or DVD (connected via component), but I saw it yesterday when i connected my Mac to one of the HDMI inputs - especially when watching white tekst on black background.

Strange.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom