is it just me or is this Nesteq/Elan Vital noisy?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by stlic, Mar 24, 2006.

1. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Okay guys I just got one of these 520W units after all the glowing reviews on this forum and others. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find what all the fuss is about. The fan is loud on ASM when it has to turn on. Bear in mind my PC is, by all accounts, pretty damn quiet. I've got a Zalman 7700-Cu with Nexus 120mm fan attached running at <5V. Also a single other fan (now a dustproof Silentmaxx 80mm) keeping my 7800GT cool.

2 Spinpoints suspended in a p180 case. My existing PSU was a Seasonic S12. Now the PSU is the lowdest component in my PC, the harddrives coming a close second.

The Nesteq is silent but even with PC at idle when it spins up the noise is very noticible. when gaming the fan speeds up quite often. I'm presuming all the glowing reviews have come from ppl who rarely stress their units or maybe I got a dud? Just wondering about your opinions. And perhaps an alternative?

2. Media-Man

Media-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    You certainly shouldn't hear them when the fan spins up

3. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hmm... makes me think something might be up with mine then. don't supopse anyone knows if changing the speed after selecting manual fan speed would affect the fan speed in ASM mode? Maybe the fan was set to high and then switching to ASM meant that it would automatically ramp upto the higher speed. The noise is very distracting although I may well give it another go after your post to see if the fan speed setting was the reaso for what I experienced. Thanks.