1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it just me or 1970s-1980s quality of music recordings crap quality

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by mick23, Jul 25, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    program on tv re beach boys (pet sounds album) sold millions good album etc, my fried lent me a copy on cassette, i played this on denon 3802 direct mode bwcdm1nts thought this sounded awful, (maybe a bad copy of cd to cassette) i ordered for my mate average white band the white album cd , played that (that to me sounded screechy) if i play something like the eagles (on cd) hotel california far better reproduction and sound ,so is it me or are some recordings just made (on the cheap) thank you

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some modern recordings are crap quality as well!

You're right about the Eagles - it still sounds great :)

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Throughout the years, recording equipment quality has varied hugely from studio to studio, and even over the lifespan of an artist.

The early 60's recordings from studios like EMI (eg: the Beatles) was and still is, of superb quality, whereas material of the same era from, say Tamla Motown, Atlantic, Stax, were either hissy, distorted or both. And Trojan was utterly dire.

In the case of the Beach Boys, their early hits were recorded by Capitol, who, as a major studio, had good equipment. However, as the boys became a little richer, they left Capitol and set up their own studio. Lo and behold, what was Stereo became Mono, with more tape hiss et al. Until they became richer still and upgraded....

4. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To the best of my knowledge Pet Sounds was recorded in Capitol's recording studio and the quality is supposed to be excellent but I must agree it seems to lack something. I remember listening to it was originally released and was not too impressed. More recently I purchased a CD version and I was not impressed by the quality of the recording. I could be wrong but Brian Wilson had a hearing problem and preferred to work in mono.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    I think a lot of the pressing where terrible in that period, yet Fleetwood Mac had two memorable album’s out and almost reference quality.
    Motown quality was all over the show, I remember even auditioning some hi-fi equipment and they had the Talking Book CD in the shop, I asked them to play it was just abysmal.

6. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Now that so much music is just too computerized perfect, I find it refreshing to listen to poorly recorded music from the past. The first two Allman Brothers albums come to mind. That's my kind of garage music! I like the Chesky recordings made with two mikes. I don't mind music with less than stellar recording as long as the content is compelling.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    I once read an article when they was going over to digital recording, and the reviewer said Steve Nicks should get her bottom spanked for using digital recording, even though he was talking about a LP pressing. And compared it to the above mentioned Fleetwood Mac LP’s. Said it gave him a head ache, even the dog did not like it and left the room, (the effect digital put into it rather than the singing of Steve).
    I managed to get some Old Gold CD’s a few years back mainly of 70’s stuff and some are cracking recordings and I once took one of them as part as a demo and the bloke even commented on how good the recording was.

PS Rachael, Jessica is on one of them.

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have pet sounds on capitol cd produced by Brian Wilson It's a great recording:) but also got some rubbish 70-80s recordings-a lot of the sixties stuff is much better.

9. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    No, Jessica is on EAT A PEACH, their 4th record. The first two Allman albums are THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND & IDLEWILD SOUTH. They have been offered on one CD as BEGINNINGS. Best wishes!

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    Yes it is.:D

We may have been talking across purposes.

What I was on about is I have Jessica by the Allman Brothers on one of my Old Gold CD’s called You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet. It is a compilation with Edgar Winter Group, Argent, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Python Lee Jackson, Eagles etc.;)

11. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    surely the point is not so much the fidelity of the original recordings, but the versions that we hear on commercial releases.

an analogue recording - maybe bounced down several times due to the absence of 8/16/24 track technology and then copies many times will sound horrible. A CD made from masters designed for vinly will also sound pretty grim.

The first Led Zep CDs were taken from the vinly masters and this caused Jimmy Page to remaster them at the beginning of the 90s.

Tubular Bells sounded awful on its first CD release, but now sounds terrific.

So its not usually the original recording thats the problem, more the crappy masters used for CDs