Is it impossible to playback dvd with 5.1

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dazzer123, Mar 18, 2005.

1. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have now gone through 1 onboard sound option and am now on my 2nd soundcard trying to get DVD’s playback with 5.1 from my system with out dropping the audio signal every few minute's.

The problem is when trying to get 5.1 via spdif the sound keeps dropping and I am getting bad lock ups and video stutter if I playback in 2 channel everything is fine I am now wondering whether I should buy 3x3.5mm to 2 phonos and connect my soundcard to my av receiver and set it up for 5.1 analogue would this work better for me and would I need the advanced audio pack for theatertek please help as it is starting to look like my expensive htpc is quickly turning in to a doorstop.

I have tried reclock and ac3 filter but with no success reclock did sync up but still I had audio dropouts and very bad video stutter my current system specs listed below.

Asus P4P800-X Mainboard
    512Mb of Pc3200 DDR
    Pentium 4 Prescott socket 478 3.0Ghz
    Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1lt Soundcard
    Asus Geforce Fx5200 Graphics card
    Pioneer Dvr109 Dvd writer

2. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think i have finally found out what was causing the problem i have now disabled write caching for the hard drive in device manager and all seem's well thing's seem a lot more stable only thing is when using theatertek if i pause or fast forward a dvd and then start to play again the lip sync is terrible is this normal.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also worth checking IRQ resources/conflicts.

:smoke:

4. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes checked irq there generally is a lot sharing ie: usb controller's are sharing irq 16 with my graphic's card which did concern me but disabling the usb controller's did not solve my problem wite caching does appear to have done so far touch wood.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've not seen lipsync problems in TT after seeking .. and disabling the write cache is certainly a bizarre sort of 'fix' for your problem. :confused:

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I wouldn't go the analogue route for dvd. It spreads the sound round the speakers and doesn't give the correct sound stage as intended in the DD/DTS soundtrack.
    Usually if you are getting stutters and audio drop outs I would expect that the system is stuggling with load. Having said that your system doesn't look too bad, but you are leaving a lot of video proccessing power in the hands of your graphics card.
    If your PC is your main dvd player I would highly reccommend getting an X-Card. This will do all the video and audio proccessing, taking the load off your gpu and sound card. It even comes with a nice RF remote control. :)

7. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

How would an x-card compare to a geforce 6600gt or x800xtpe?

8. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the sound card with latest drivers...? Also try lowering hardware accelaration within DirectX settings.

9. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well I do have lip sync problems after seeking although it could be the prodigy lite I have read on their forums someone having the same problem I may just give onboard audio another go.

I would have to agree that disabling write cache does seem a strange fix but if I enable it dvd playback becomes very jerky i.e.: locking up freezing even with out ffd show running.

I only seem to be getting lip sync errors in theatertek and not power dvd maybe this is due to the extra processing it would be nice to cure it.

My Hardrive is a r Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 200GB 6B200PO running Windows Mce 2005. I will look in to Xcard's have to admit I have never heard of them I was really relying on ffdshow to do my processing.

10. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    The Xcard should prove significant performance benefits over a 6600gt or similar.

11. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    dazzler, my HTPC is much lower on horsepower than yours and I don't have these problems. currently running MCE2005 with Win DVD 6 for Mpeg codecs, P4 2.4, Geforce Ti4200 with 256Mb ram, hauppage wintv PVR250, and 768Mb Ram. I'm using a Western digital 200Gb 8Mb cache 7200rpm drive and an MSI DVD /RW (of Pioneer origin). Playback of DVD's is flawless without stutter.

Can I suggest you post a list of what software you have running alongside...AVirus, messenger or anything of that type. It could be worth looking in that area. Disable anything within Msconfig startup that isn't necessary for function...Good Luck :)

12. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Hi well as a point of interest I did do a fresh install of windows running just the necessary drivers i.e. soundcard, video card and then just theatertek and ffdshow as I did wonder if background apps could have been causing a problem but the freezes continued, as I say the only cure seem's to be to disable write caching on the hard drive I wonder if there is an issue between mce2005 edition and my hard drive as the drive has been tested and is not faulty, I have now reverted back to my onboard sound and the lip sync issue I mentioned in theatertek now seem's a little more stable TOUCH WOOD.

I just have a £60 soundcard that it would appear i never needed maybe it is time for a visit to the classified forum's.

13. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

In what way is the x-card better than the current ATI/Nvidia cards at movie playback. And is the HD performance also improved? I was looking to build a HTPC shortly and I was going to buy a 6600gt. Would I be better off with a x-card?

14. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Had a look, correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't it a pass-through-analogue-only-decoder-card for SD material only. It doesn't replace your standard graphics card and its best output is s-video.

15. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    The Xcard's sole purpose is for dvd decoding, both picture and audio, so theoretically should take a lot more load from the system than a mediocre graphics card. Some high spec cards may do this job just as well, certainly my Radeon X850 XT does, but a 6600 GT is more of a mid-range card and I'm not too sure how much of a strain it will find dvd decoding / proccesing, etc...

The latest incarnation of the Xcard offers scaling upto HD resolutions and progressive scan. It also supports component video out and has an optional scart RGB output.

If you haven't seen the capabilities of Xcard have a look HERE

I'm not saying this is a perfect solution for your problem, nor that the 6600 GT is incapable, but I have merely stated my personal thoughts and opinions.

16. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I HAD a Xcard and HAVE a XFX 6600GT
    IMO the Xcard wasn't in the same league as the 6600GT and TT2,I used to run it via PDI from a Sweetspot card using Dscaler and the PQ was OK but TheaterTek was always prefered
    The above was feeding a Panny plasma and an AE500 pj,if youre feeding a TV then yes the Xcard maybe a more viable solution.
    Rob

17. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Thanks Mrmoo, stella, rob

I am currently using a X800XT PE in games/office pc and have it connected to a Optoma RD65 (65' DLP HD2+, 720x1280) via DVI. The picture on this set up is great for both HD and DVD playback.

I want to build a permanant HTPC for my DLP display and I want to get the best picture possible from my HTPC. Games are of no real concern as I have my current pc to play my games.

My question is which would give me the best picture results (HD & DVD), xcard, 6600gt, x800xt pe?

18. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The x-card is a non-starter. You want a digital signal.

I don't think you will see much difference between a 6600gt & x800xtpe at the lower resolutions and refresh rates of HD. For an HTPC the x800xtpe 16 pipes an all, is overkill. Its really designed for serious 3d rendering of DX & GL. I've got a x800xtpe overclocked (600/600) somewhat with an artic cooler, but I'm still looking to buy the 6600GT for a HTPC. Cheapest so far £112 inc.

19. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

Mrmoo

Thanks for the info, you know my possition better than most in this forum. Is the 6600gt (£112), a gigabyte fanless model? What specs are you going for with you HTPC?

I have been looking at cases as well and some of them are around £400+ for and empty box, psu, remote and vfd. Which in my opion in stupidly high, I d rather spend that sort of money on hardrives or better components.

20. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Have you looked at the Clarita's cases in the power buy section?
    I fancy one for my self but don't have room at the moment.

21. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Clarita cases are very nice, theres so much more to choose from than there was before xmas. I dont really know which case to buy. I need a case that can take a full atx board.

22. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Razor, bought these bits today. The HTPC will actually sit behind the TV above my sub. So I'm not that bothered about size, so a midi is fine. The one below was £23.50 with psu and looks pretty good. The hardest part for me is resisting the urge to buy the latest fastest bit of kit, no overclocking, no benchmarks, no games. I have to keep telling myself "Its for playing movies".

Globalwin YCC-79B10 Aluminium Midi Tower - 300W PSU
    Asus A8V-E Deluxe + WiFi PCI-E (Socket 939) Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 90nm (939 Pin) - Retail
    Galaxy GeForce 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-OUT/DVI (PCI-E) - Retail
    LiteOn DVD-ROM + Bezel Silver
    2 off Corsair ValueSelect 256MB PC3200 CAS2.5

£412.59

23. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Thats a good price. The only thing I would say is that I woul go for a more expensive case as the cheaper cases seem noisier and the power supplies can be poor. But I could be wrong, otherwise theres all you need really. :)

Let us know how you get on Mrmoo? :)