Question Is it important to get a TV with Dolby Vision?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by almightygoodgod, Mar 17, 2018.

1. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Hello all

I currently have a Samsung UE55H8000 and am looking to upgrade to the world of 4K. I have popped into my local electrical retailer and have spotted a couple of deals within my price range that look okay.

Just a couple of points worth noting, I live in Singapore so whilst the main brands such as Sony, LG Samsung etch are available here but the TCL and Vizio TVs I have read good reviews about are not on the market. The other consideration is that one wall in my living room is essentially a window (actually glass doors onto my balcony) and during the day it is quite bright.

Taking the brightness issue into consideration I have been looking at the two TVs as a possibility:

Sony KD55X9000E
    Samsung QA55Q7FA

The Samsung is a slightly better price and comes with a free Xbox One S (which I would sell along with my Xbox One to buy an Xbox One X) but the reviews for the Sony are a lot better.

The only thing holding me back is that I have read that neither model has Dolby Vision. I am not really familiar with HDR versions as I have had nothing that supports it until now so I don't really know if it is an issue.

Once I upgrade I would be looking at accessing content through my Xbox One X in the form of gaming and 4K discs and streaming (predominantly Netflix, we do have an Amazon prime account but that is only really because it comes with the prime account we have for our shopping in Singapore).

So two questions, if a source is Dolby Vision will it be able to run at HDR if the TV is not compatible?

Am I likely to be missing out on a lot if I don't have it with the sources I expect to be using?

I usually upgrade TVs every 3-4 years. 4K TVs were actually available when I bought my last one but at the time the TV I bought was better for 1080p content, which is all I had access to.

Thank you in advance for your collective wisdom.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    It will play any title with Dolby Vision using the core HDR 10 metadata.
    Not a lot, Dolby Vision and the future HDR10+ add dynamic meta data, its a nice improvement but not much of one compared to having HDR at all.

If it's gaming you are doing then Dolby Vision isn't important at all, games at the moment are mainly HDR 10 only.

Besides, if you wanted a TV with DV support you'd be looking at spending quite a bit more on an LG OLED.

The Sony XE9305 has Dolby Vision support also but its their own implementation of it so you will be limited to using UHD Blu-Ray players that support their own implementation of it to take advantage of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Thank you for your excellent reply. Your first point in particular has put my mind at ease. Looks like I may be spending a fair bit of money tomorrow. The only thing that has put a spanner in the works is discovering the Panasonic EZ952 is in a sale, although from some of what I've read the brightness thing could be a real issue with that TV for me.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Brightness on the OLEDs isn't usually an issue, depends on how bright your room is.

They are a good bit brighter than any LCD of old, usually 2x, sometimes 3x brighter and around 10x brighter than some of the last generation plasma.

They also have very good anti reflection filters on the TV which helps a lot in bright conditions.

All the talk now with brightness is about HDR, for SDR the OLEDs are generally bright enough for most people. On a solid white screen then they may seem dimmer, but how often does this happen? Maybe if you watch a lot of arctic nature documentaries or web browse on google a lot.

For HDR though during the day you will lose detail with a dimmer TV, but really even with a bright LCD in the day or with the lights on viewing isn't ideal.

5. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Go for an OLED if you can, you won't regret it.

The LG B7 or C7 are also good options.

6. Ensign Skippy

Ensign Skippy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    One of the few things the Samsung qleds have going for them is the antireflection filter, will help in bright room.

7. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    I picked up the Sony (well paid for it at least, being delivered on Friday). Quite happy with it although whether that will be the same in a few weeks is another matter... Turns out the deal for the free Xbox One S was on all the tv's so already sorted out a buyer for that and putting the cash towards a one x at the weekend. So glad I held off buying AC Origins.

8. Turk

Turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    All I'd add is you're gonna love AC Origins .:rotfl: