Is it illegal to own a knife?

Archatype

Novice Member
As per title,

Am a huge fan of knifes and I have some astonishing and expensive pieces dated back to the 18th century. I have found one knife in america which ive been looking for ages but am afraid to order it just in case they happen to scan the package and bust me or its not necessary illegal to possess/ship/receive knifes in the UK? Thanks

pandemic

I think they made it illegal to import blades that are weapons i.e. Katana (samurai sword) back last April.

Archatype

Novice Member
"Section 1(2) also makes it illegal to import knives of this type, as a result it is (almost) impossible to obtain possession of such a knife without either committing or abetting an offence. Note that the above legislation does not refer to possession of such knives other than possession for the purpose of sale or hire, it is therefore not illegal per se to merely possess such a knife."

So its fine to import a knife as long as you have no purpose of selling it/ hiring it to another?

Do they really scan all items in the post? How can the distinguish if you order a normal kitchen knife from a "fighting type" ?

Iccz

Personally i'd contact your local police department and try get some advice off them, maybe they can tell you who to contact.
You might want to try contacting customs about it too just to make sure.

Ned Senior

Personally i'd contact your local police department and try get some advice off them, maybe they can tell you who to contact.
I would go with what Iccz advises

Hearsay is not really a defense in court I would think so get the facts from the RIGHT departments

Customs are really friendly BTW or the ones I spoke to where when I wanted to import a PS3 late last year

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Good idea. If it were me, I'd print off the page from the internet and take it into the local station and ask for their guidance.

eric pisch

Novice Member
Good idea. If it were me, I'd print off the page from the internet and take it into the local station and ask for their guidance.
dont think i would trust a copper tbh, just about all of them that i have seen bend laws or even just get them wrong

according to this site its illegal to import any of the band types of knives

Police-information.co.uk legislation index - England

I want to import a replica predator spear, but sideshow wont sell to the UK (family in USA has placed order for me) and I wondered if it was to do with this law but i can see no mention of swords or spears here

Sideshow Collectibles, Inc. - Alien VS Predator / Predator Spear Prop Replica

IronGiant

"Section 1(2) also makes it illegal to import knives of this type, as a result it is (almost) impossible to obtain possession of such a knife without either committing or abetting an offence. Note that the above legislation does not refer to possession of such knives other than possession for the purpose of sale or hire, it is therefore not illegal per se to merely possess such a knife."

So its fine to import a knife as long as you have no purpose of selling it/ hiring it to another?

Do they really scan all items in the post? How can the distinguish if you order a normal kitchen knife from a "fighting type" ?
No, it's not illegal to own one, but it is illegal to import one, if it's on the list. What exactly is the knife?, then someone can tell you if it's one you can import.

Dave

PoochJD

Hi Archatype,

Your age, may also come into play here.

If you're an adult, who has been collecting knives and other assorted weaponry for a number of years, and has a large-ish collection, but are seen by the police to be a "reasonably sensible and mature person", they may let you import the weapon, provided it's not illegal to import it.

But, if you are an 18-year old yoof, who is well-known to the local rozzers, then I suspect your answer will be a straight and blunt "no!" to importing it.

If you can prove that you are a mature, and sensible individual, and are willing to back this up, e.g. showing that you collect such items purely for decorative and aesthetic purposes only, the police just might be willing to bend the rules on you buying another knife, providing it isn't breaking the law to import it, and wouldn't likely to be misused by anyone else who might break into your house (e.g. if you keep the collection locked-up in a display cabinet of some kind).

Your best bet really is to contact your local police officers, maybe ask one of them for a home visit, to show your genuine intent, rather than just asking about importing a knife/bladed object. The more you can demonstrate your honesty, integrity and "collector" side of yourself, the more the police are likely to help you out. :)

Pooch

P.S. Be warned that new legislation came in last year, that said a knife doesn't have to have a sharp edge or point, nor a sharpened blade, to still be deemed illegal to import or to be categorised as an "offensive weapon"! :eek:

Archatype

Novice Member
The knife am importing is a rather smallish italian stilleto from the 60's in mint condition which has gotten extinct the last decade. I found it for $150 and snapped it.
It is illegal to import from what I read however am throwing in with it as i've been looking for this knife for years. I don't see how they can catch me unless they open up the package and bust me(very unlikely). Even if they do I'll plead ignorance for the specifics of the law and be happy to have the knife confiscated. I doubt I would be thrown into jail for such an offence though. Am a collector not a criminal. Am taking the risk:hiya:

eric pisch

Novice Member
The knife am importing is a rather smallish italian stilleto from the 60's in mint condition which has gotten extinct the last decade. I found it for $150 and snapped it.
It is illegal to import from what I read however am throwing in with it as i've been looking for this knife for years. I don't see how they can catch me unless they open up the package and bust me(very unlikely). Even if they do I'll plead ignorance for the specifics of the law and be happy to have the knife confiscated. I doubt I would be thrown into jail for such an offence though. Am a collector not a criminal. Am taking the risk:hiya:
they xray an awefull lot of stuff, ignorance is no defence under uk law, you are guilty until proven innocent (according to gordo)

even if you did get caught you would only be sentenced to 5 years, this would instantly be reduced to 100 hours community service on good behaviour (you turned up at court). You would have to wear a name and shame jacket but upon being handed it they would take it back on the grounds it violated your rights :p

IronGiant

I very much doubt it would be followed up if customs did confiscate it. What makes you think a stiletto is illegal? Sure you can't carry one in the street but I didn't think they are illegal to own or import. Unless it opens automatically that is...
In which case they might well follow it up.
Dave

Last edited:

table manners

Novice Member
I have put blades in my luggage (Not hand luggage:nono:) when i have come back from holiday.Like you i have collected blades,i no longer do this tho.but i have always boxed,taped them up well when bringing them back,ie you cant get to them without some effort.
When i read the customs leaflet it seamed to say you cant bring them back but that only looked like flick knifes,butterfly knifes and lock knifes.
I had three fixed blades on one trip the smallest was 3.1/2" (of blade.not handle) the biggest was around 6".I have even had a Rambo knife come back with me!.
I use the big one to help cut leather work on car panels.Like someone has said most police dont know the law and it seams to change so often its hard to keep up.Just call customs and ask whats the score on doing it im sure they would be ok.
Good luck.

IronGiant

Quote: "A stiletto is actually a fixed-blade stabbing implement that may or may not have a sharpened edge, but the term is commonly applied to Italian-style switchblades"

If it's the former he should be fine importing it, if it's the latter he is risking the full weight of the law settling upon him.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom