Is it how you remember?

daftmole

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been recently buying quite a few dvds that I have fond memories of, from my childhood. Some of them such as the Back To The Future Trilogy, Gremlins, The Thing and Star TrekII have been as good if not better than I remember. But on the other foot some have not compared as well! Superman was one particular case, I have fond memories of this, yet once I began to watch it I was amazed by some of the holes in the plot! (How does Lex Luthor know about Krytonite?) Although I still semi enjoyed it, it just wasn't the masterpiece I remember! (Great dvd though - amazing sound) I just got Superman II to see if that lives upto my expectations! (Always thought it was better than 1?!)

So have you rewatched a film from your childhood, that hasn't quite lived upto / been better than you remember?

the Kirk star trek movies (excluding no. 2), couldn't believe I used to like them when I watched them recently.

Its an interesting question.

Star Wars is an obvious choice for me. I first saw it when I was 10 and loved it, I regard it as being okay these days.

Play It Again Sam is still funny, but not as hilarious as I found it as a teenager.

Highlander was my favourite film when I was 17, I find it quite naff now.

Porkys was brilliant when I was 13, enough said about that one:blush:

I totally agree, my wife and I were both big fans of Highlander in our youth but both agreed it had dated terribly when we recently watched the recent R1 DVD release.

High octane fight scenes on TV e.g. Buffy put the final sword fight to shame IMHO. However, the general concept still appeals and it would make a good candidate for a remake if you ask me although I doubt many people could carry off Connery's part with such class.

Ross

the scenes in Scotland are the least dated which is kind of ironic, many films from the 80s suffer, because... well it was the 80s!:D

I havn't seen it since i was young, But we all used to love TEEN WOLF.... weres all this hair coming from.:D

Although Lambert's Scottish accent was atrocious. Wonder what he is up to these days? Highlander II was a dog and he was also in some ropey chess tournament thriller around about the same time. The Sci-Fi prison film he was in was a reasonable nights diversion when we saw it on TV a year or so ago.

Ah Teen Wolf, another great MJ Fox vehicle. Didn't they make a sequel, what am I saying, which US film hasn't had at least one or two 'straight to rental' sequels.

Teen Wolf Too (as it was called) was at the cinema!!!

Wolf boy was a boxer, but I do not think it was MJFox.

The Lost Boys, just can't take it seriously anymore especialy that greased up Michael Bolton lookalike singing on stage.

Hey that saxophone rocks!

Hawk The Slayer and Beastmaster are mine.

Loved them both when I was a kid watched them over and over again, Hawk The Slayers music is totally brilliant still though!

It sounds like dodgy german rave music!

I have a very rare Hawk The Slayer soundtrack LP on vinyl. Crazy 80's low budget sword & sorcery flic works due to it's bizarre hommage to spaghetti westerns and the fact that anything with Bernard Bresslaw in it is good.

Seriously, I agree with the sentiment about the Highlander, it has in some respects dated, but it is that very factor that gives it it's charm.

However, as a child I can remember being gobsmacked by any Harryhausen film, and they still get me that way now. CGI may be technically superior but those stop motion figures had charactors and charm all of their own.

Is CGI technically superior? OK it's great for doing lots of things, I mean how many films now start a shot with one thing then pan back to show many of them simply, IMHO, to say look we can replicate these things till the cows come home.

However, I still prefer stop motion stuff because they tend to stand up to closer inspection whereas CGI generated stuff is always shown whizzing past the camera so fast you don't get a closer look. I know exactly what an X-Wing fighter looks like from Star Wars but the alien ships in Independance Day are just a blur.

Star Wars films aren't as good now that I've grown up. I actually prefer the original Superman flick to any of the SW trilogy now.

On the flipside though, Red Dawn is a magnificent 80's bratpack movie that I didn't like first time round, and the original cast Star Trek films are more enjoyable than they used to be, too. Same with The Black Hole, a film I just didn't "get" when I saw it at the cinema when it was released, but now.....probably the best Disney film ever made IMHO.

The Black Hole better than Bedknobs And Broomsticks, you need your bumps examined mate! :D

I go very bored rewatching "So I Married an Axemurderer" recently. Even the old man who sounded just like Shrek (obviously) couldn't make me laugh as much as I did first time round. :(

70's cop movies are so much more minimalist than those made in the late 80's and 90's.

It's this more languid, and focused approach which makes "Charlie Varrick", "Taking Of pelham 123" and "Dirty Harry" and the like a million times better than any "Lethal Weapon" movie (That and the fact that mullets are such a crap barnet style).

Originally posted by Nobber22
I go very bored rewatching "So I Married an Axemurderer" recently. Even the old man who sounded just like Shrek (obviously) couldn't make me laugh as much as I did first time round. :(

Nobber thats quite sad news. I love this film and it still has to be one of my most watched.

I'm feelin for ya man. :)

ET fro me....the scene with the BMX chase made me head for ebay and check out the prices of Raleigh Burners (about £50 if anyones interested!)

Effects have dated a bit, but still a really great story. Watched it with my kids 20 years later!

Spielberg made a few changes for the 20th anniversary edition*, does anyone know if the recent DVD includes the original versions of these scenes, albiet in a documentary perhaps?

Ross

* So what is so different from the original movie? First, digital effects were added to some scenes. Spielberg said that he always wanted to change the scene at the beginning of the film in which Keys chases E.T., because E.T. was just “running” on a rail with his heart light moving through some weeds. For the new edition, Spielberg changed E.T.’s movement to a hop.

They also widened the range of E.T.’s facial expressions and fixed the clouds so that they were moving in the background when he ran. Elements of the bicycle ride with E.T. were altered to show the cape of Elliott’s Halloween costume moving with the wind (in the original it was stationary).

Spielberg said he had always been unhappy with the police officers and government agents aiming guns at E.T., Elliott and his friends during the bicycle chase, so they replaced the weapons with walkie-talkies. In a previously published statement, Spielberg said:

“If I ever reissue the film theatrically, I will somehow take that shot out… I regret that a gun was used as a threat to stop children on bicycles. I really regret having any guns in the movie. And if I ever re-issue the picture, I’ll use the digital miracle of CGI to take the guns out of the cops’ hands.”

Some previously deleted scenes were put back into the movie. Added scenes include E.T. and Elliott bonding in a bathtub and a sidebar to the Halloween sequence in which Mary, Elliott’s mother, is searching for Elliott.

In another edited scene, Elliott’s mother no longer forbids his brother, Michael, to go out looking like a “terrorist.” Mathison’s original script called for the word “commando,” but the word has instead been altered to the non violent “hippie.”

The 2 disc R1 DVD has both versions of the movies and DTS.

However the packaging is very poor, being a digipack without a slip cover.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom