Is it easy to attach RJ45 Cat6 Plugs ?

DodgeTheViper

Reaction score
I need to reroute some Cat6 cabling around the inside of the house and because I want to go through a wall, it's going to be easier if I can pass the bare cable through and attach the plugs afterwards. I currently have a couple of Cat6 cables running through a couple of switches but one is just lay around the edge of a room so I'm attempting to hide them.
Are there different versions of the plugs ?

I'm going to need cable, plugs, crimp tool and anything else I might need.

Cheers

Last edited:
There are Cat5e plugs and there are Cat 6 Plugs. Cat5e cable is 24AWG and Ca6/6a is 23AWG so its larger and is normally a pretty tight fit in Cat5e RJ45s.

I would also recommend either 2 piece or Passthrough Cat6/6a plugs if you are a novice at crimping as they are much easier to fit.

Additionally I wouldn't recommend plugs at all but would, if possible recommend terminating them into sockets. Which are far easier to terminate and actually the correct termination for fixed structured cable

OK. So I get myself a roll of Cat6 cable and some 2 piece or passthrough plugs. Will it be compatible with other Cat6 cables that I have connected to the switches ?

I think I've got it now. I just need to find out if the existing work is T568A or T568B.

Anyone got any recommendations for passthrough crimping tools ? There’s shed loads of them on Amazon.

I agree with @mushii - if you're putting in a fixed cable, terminate it with a socket and use a patch cable from the device. You can either use a proper wall mounted patress and socket (such as this) or if you didn't want to wall mount you could fit a keystone on each end of the cable (like this). Punching down is pretty easy, you need an IDC or 110 punch down tool, but in a pinch you can use a small flat blade electrical screwdriver.

If you're set on just terminating each end with an RJ45, I wouldn't bother with the passthrough connectors. Regular type are easier, and usually cheaper, to get hold of and you don't need a passthrough specific crimp. Normal RJ45 are easy to crimp, the only different being you need top recut the ends of each cable after you've arranged and flattened them out, to make them level and the right length. There's a whole bunch of how-to video's on YouTube that show you how to do this. As for a crimp tool, any generic RJ45 tool will do it, or you could buy a kit like this that has everything you need

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
All I’m doing is creating a long patch cable that is going to run from a socket to a switch. Along that run, I could do with passing it through a wall which is why I’m wanting to snip the plug off, pass the cable through, then reattach a plug. This is all inside the house.

Last edited:
The tricky bit is balancing cost vs integrity of the connection - a suitable crimp tool is pretty high cost for a single connection.

Like others I use an EZ tool on the odd occasion where I have to terminate on site - the folk we hire to do lots of terminations use non-passthrough connectors,

Joe

Thanks, Joe,

I guess I could opt for a cheapish crimp tool and then I’ll be ok if I need to make up any other cables later on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom