• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

is it down to these 3?

nicke20

Established Member
Minix Neo X8 H Plus
MINIX NEO Z64 W
or Amazon Fire TV with kodi on

will be used for streaming and playing local network files
all will be running kodi, plan on installing 3 for the kids

So, what is the best, performance wise ?

nicke20

Established Member
perhaps i should have expanded slightly, all the usual apps that you find on the android streamers, kodi seems to be nice and simple from what i can see, I assume they all run xbmc.
i was more interested in performance as in decoding ability, video performance etc. I assume all 3 will run the same sort of apps?
It has been suggested a raspberry pi v2

nicke20

Established Member
Im open to suggestions, please im a bit in the dark on this and trying to get up to speed as fast as possible
i think i meant to say kodi add ons not apps

Smeeble

Established Member
I've got kodi to stream my files on a RPi2 in the lounge and a firestick in the bedroom.
Haven't seen a massive difference in quality etc, firestick is useful with the remote though. It doesn't boot straight into it, so you need fire starter on it too for quick loading.
Yatse is a good app to control them both via the network off my galaxy S6.
If you get the RPi2 I'd recommend the main psu and the Flirc metal case, which works as one big heat sink.

JonMace

Prominent Member
As above if its Kodi you want go for a Pi2, you will not beet the support.

Other Kodi only considerations should be an intel NUC

nicke20

Established Member
Intel nuc looks a bit pricy, i was looking at buying 3!

from the two minix devices i have listed are there any major performance differences

Zarf2007

Established Member
Minix Neo X8 H Plus
MINIX NEO Z64 W
or Amazon Fire TV with kodi on

will be used for streaming and playing local network files
all will be running kodi, plan on installing 3 for the kids

So, what is the best, performance wise ?

Get the Amazon Fire tv box (not stick). If you have prime membership you get Amazon tv/movies as a streaming option along with Netflix (if you subscribe). Both of these can do up to 4K so are future proof. Add to that the ability to sideload kodi with firestarter to keep it automatically up to date and your streaming and local network media is also covered.

For £80 it's the best performing device out there. Nuc is fine but forget Amazon & Netflix streaming which if you also get the US service via smartdnsproxy or equivalent increases the content massively.

nicke20

Established Member
ok i have ordered a amazon tv 4k
I know there is one for sale on the forums, and the guy wants £10 more than asking for installing kodi, bizzare considering the forum he is selling on!
I will have a play with that and if I likw buy 2 more, if not watch the classifieds lol

nicke20

Established Member
underwhelmed i think describes it best

nicke20

Established Member
As a box that sells over the counter to Joe public it plugs in and works, and its all amazon, no suprise there. To get it to do anything else is just painful, i wouldn't have thought that streaming your own media was unusual. It allowed me to download Netflix and then told me Netflix couldn't work as i had no internet connection ??? I player did work !
I reminds me of an old roku player i had
Give me a few weeks and il will report back
If I cant make it kid and girlfriend friendly then ill not get the other ones
If only you had apps like netflix and iplayer on a popcorn a410 !!

Hal_121

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. The issues you have had so far wouldn't really affect me as I would using mine mainly as a Kodi box I use my smart TV for most other media syncing from other devices.

Have you or are you planning to sideload Kodi onto yours?

Zarf2007

Established Member
As a box that sells over the counter to Joe public it plugs in and works, and its all amazon, no suprise there. To get it to do anything else is just painful, i wouldn't have thought that streaming your own media was unusual. It allowed me to download Netflix and then told me Netflix couldn't work as i had no internet connection ??? I player did work !
I reminds me of an old roku player i had
Give me a few weeks and il will report back
If I cant make it kid and girlfriend friendly then ill not get the other ones
If only you had apps like netflix and iplayer on a popcorn a410 !!

I don't have any such issues. Netflix, Iplayer and Amazon video work like a charm, the UI is Way ahead of any Roku interface. If your using wireless I would say switch to wired (use home plugs if necessary). I have never known anyone say they are happy with wireless streaming on any device like this.

And for anyone else, kodi with firestarter app works like a charm on this box for streaming your own media/internet stuff. This box is absolutely wife/kid friendly, it couldn't be easier to use.

Also make sure the software on the box is updated.

nicke20

Established Member
Yep the roku was a pig and unstable. realy this is a mile a way from being kid friendly, the popcorn is kid friendly. Yes i have 2 versions of kodi on it and a ton of other stuff, it is wired on gigabit network, I will keep playing. Im sure i will get there. My point was that being sold as a consumer item is a bit far fetched unless you just want the amazon bit.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom