1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it bright enough!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Joe Fernand, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello all

Had a call from a potential customer yesterday looking for info on line doublers.

The guys never had a projector before and just managed to lay his hands on a unit direct from Japan via a relative who works for one of the big projector manufacturers over there.

The unit he's purchased is not out in the UK as yet and when it arrives is due to have a £25K price tag - on top of the big price tag its got a 17,500 ANSI lumen light output :eek:

I'm on the phone to him imagining his neighbours wall glowing with faint (reversed) video images as his 6' screen burns a hole in the adjoining wall.

So any recommendations on the best sunglasses to wear when visiting this guy?

Best regards

Joe

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hey Joe,

(Oooerr, got that Hendrix feeling all over again....:zonked: )

At 17,500 lumens, there ain't a pair of sunglasses in the world which would protect him !! :laugh:

A far more interesting topic would be how quickly Powergen can install a new powerstation nearby to enable the thing to fire up, and speaking of Fire, how in the name of sweet suseJ is this thing cooled ? Have you ever seen the "chimneys" on commercial projectors, like in UCI/whatever ? I suspect that his neighbours will be fried long before they notice the reverse image coming through the wall.

Comer, Comer ??? You're cooling skills are needed here !:smashin:

Kramer, Kramer ?? Someone's now gotten a noisier projector than yours !!:clap:

Can't wait to see this one develop !

Sean G.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hey Again,

On a (only just) slightly more serious note, a Barco R18, designed for large conference venues, has an output of 17,500 lumens, is Sxga native, has a 2.8kW (yip, you read it right) lamp with an expected life of 500 - 750 hrs (think about the cost of replacing that baby !), has an electricity consumption of 3.75kW ( the whole street just cooked) a contrast ratio of 450:1 (Black ? What colour is that ?)and weighs in at...............135kg (hernia, anyone?)
    its also rather large - 2' wide, 4.5' long and 1.75' (rough dimensions) .

Def. not for home cinema (not one my size, at least).

Are you sure it coudn't be 1,750 lumens ??????????:devil:

Sean G.

4. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mines bigger than yours na na ni na nahhh.............. :zonked:

hang on a minute....there is no home use unit with that sorta spec....

if your paying that much for a projector why not go CRT and double stack for brightness.....? the image will far excell the digitals, and at a similar price to a highend digital, with a few grand to spare...... :rolleyes:

then again, with a projector like that you could make your own bat signals in the clouds :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Joe....When I was younger I had a series of eye operations. The Eye Infirmary in Glasgow gave me some dark glasses that would be just right:laugh:

Gordon