1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it bettter to re-direct the bass frequencies from the main speakers to the sub?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pavlos, Mar 12, 2001.

1. pavlos

pavlos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was told that is better to redirect the bass frequencies from the main speakers to the subwoofer cos sometimes DVDS can have so low bass frequencies that the main speakers cannot cope and if that is the case should I re-direct the bass frequencies from my surrounds too?

thanks in advance

pavlos

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    It depends on the response of your main speakers. In most setups the answer would be 'yes', it is for me - I have my receiver set to 'small' speakers all round, which routes everything below 80Hz to my sub. My speakers claim to go as low as 55Hz, but as they are only bookshelf models (Tannoy M1) their output rolls off dramatically at lower frequencies.

I experimented with both 'large' and 'small' settings, including wiring at both high and line level simultaneously to my REL sub, but I have settled for line level output and 'small' speaker settings as I feel this gives the best results for me.

If your speakers can cope with low frequency (with little loss of output) then go 'large', otherwise you'll probably be better served by bass redirection.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knowing what speakers you have would be useful.
    I have KEF Reference Model Fours, which go down very low. Switching them to Small on my processor and re-directing the Low Frequencies transforms the sound (for Movies) you will get much more detail, steering will sound more dramatic, more pings and tings all round really.

4. pavlos

pavlos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well my main speakers are the Jamo E870 , looking at their specifications they start from 50hz, what do you think I should do, the point I was trying to make is that I was told by a few people that even if my main speakers go low enough still will be be better to redirect the bass freq. to the subwoofer..and then what about my surround speakers they are part of the E870 Jamo package , should they be re-direct too? by the way my main speakers are bi-wired to my sony 940 receiver and my dvd player is the pioneer 636D.

Thanks in advance

pavlos

5. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Don't know how to link it here, but check out the long thread started by Duncan Wardle a month or two ago.
    We all got stuck in and came to simple conclusion, route all LFE to sub, ie, 80Hz and below. It is more than worth it.
    Use search to get the post.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

7. Mikael

Mikael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also agree you should probably re-direct to your sub. If I recall correctly, the Sony 940 allows you to specify the re-direct frequency separately for front, center and surround, so if your fronts go down to around 50, set it to redirect from 60 or 80 Hz, and perhaps even higher for the surrounds (assuming they are smaller...)
    My Sony 925 redirects at 100 Hz, and I have largish floorstanders all round, but I have found they sound better as small.

------------------
    ---------------------------------------------
    /Mikael
    No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

8. pavlos

pavlos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

ok guys thanks for your responces,last question, assuming that I re-direct the bass frequencies from my main speakers and my surround ones to the sub what is appropriate cut-off frequency I should put on my sub, it goes from 50hz to 150hz and also there is phase control as well, can you let me know its use and lastly when I redirect the bass freq ie choose the small setting on my reciever that means that ALL bass frequencies will go the sub woofer or from a certain range?

Thanks in advance

pavlos

9. Spaceman

Spaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pavlos, you can just set the subs filter to it's maximum (150) since your amp won't put out much above 80Hz. If you set the filter to, say, 40Hz then you'll have a gap between 40Hz and 80Hz (the receiver's cutoff freq.).

I have my sub connected to my mainspeakers. I do not use the sub-out. I rout the bass of my center and rears to my fronts and also the LFE signal go to my fronts. My fronts don't go below 50Hz much and then my subwoofer takes over. This works the best so far... in my opinion. But you guys probably think I'm nuts [​IMG]