Is it better to get the panny 42PH rather than the 42PW?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Nick23, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

After a recent phone call with a local department store the guy in the TV department said they have "quite a few" TH42PHW5B Panasonic plasmas in stock. 2 questions.

1: Assuming he has correctly read out the right model number, or if there hasn't been a mistake any where along the line, and it really is a PH and not a PW, would it be better to go for the PH? (as they are happy to price match RicherSounds as they think its the same as the PW that Richersounds are selling)

2: Will all the accessories for the 42PW, specifically the Tuner Box and corresponding terminal board needed for the Tuner
    (TY-42TM5H ) work with the 42PH?

Thanks

2. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I must admit I mulled over this but this article clinched it for me http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-resolution.html Although it's based on the US equivalent models, but basically for the sources I'll be using (up to progressive scan) the standard definition one does the same, or, in the case of 480p stuff, actually a better job.

Plus they are no plans to release the HD consumer model in the UK, so I think the department store has got confused. Richer Sounds don't sell the HD one neither.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,117
    Nick23

I hope this input is not too late - I only just noticed your post.

As per JamieD's input there are no plans for Panasonic Consumer UK to release the HD (1024 x 768) display in Silver - so I guess the store you spoke to was mistaken.

Also noting another thread here that the other store you mention seem to be supplying EX Euro imported PW models.

We are selling quite a few Panasonic and Pioneer 1024 x768 displays these days - in the main our customers are looking to future proof any investment in an expensive display and dont want to be left with an 852 x 480 display if something happens in the UK high res market in the next couple of years (also many of our customers like to have the option to connect in a PC to the system and not get a seriously 'soft' image.

I believe the Tuner and Tuner terminal will work with the PH model - though I would not go down this route myself; whilst it adds switching functionality its not the best input solution on the market.

Best regards

Joe