Is it best to fill the hard drive right up when storing movies?

mike.hutch

Guys,

I'm in the process of ripping all my DVD's to my hard drive, I'm using AnyDVD to rip the entire disk, and I have a couple of 1.5tb drives. I'm using Windows Media Centre with Mediabrowser and KM Player and Total Media Theatre to play movies.

The thing is should I fill the disk right up or do I need to leave a bit of space? Seems an odd question now I've typed it, but I'm just not sure!

Razor

Its always advisable to leave a little bit of space free. I normally leave 6-10gb free.

wolvers

Novice Member
I believe that a disk can't be defraged if it's full. I think there needs to be something like 10% free.

Iccz

I believe that a disk can't be defraged if it's full. I think there needs to be something like 10% free.

Exactly, though it depends on how large the largest file it has to move is.

For example let's say that File A wants to be at the start of the drive, but it can't be moved there because File X, Y and Z, are in the place, the drive then has to move X, Y and Z to a new, termporary home to a free space in the drive to make room to move A to the start, it's just a matter of juggling files and it likes to leave enough room to cover itself to move them, of course if 10% of a drive isn't enough to cope with the largest file that needs to be moved you might get problems.

Generally you should be okay as long as you keep your files away from your OS drive.

Edit: Totally forgot to address the OP's point after that... Yes, it's fine to near enough fill up a drive as you do not need to defrag storage for media such as movies etc as it's not going to have a major impact on viewing.

Last edited:

mike.hutch

Thanks for the replies, I have two 1.5tb drives, one with a partition of 200gb for the OS etc. The storage drives will only be for movies, and I'm unlikely to delete them so I don't suppose I will need to defrag the drives?

I reckon I will just leave about 5gb of space on each drive.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom