Question Is it bad to hard reset your iPhone everyday?

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by dts197, Sep 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    I've just got an iPhone 7+ and having trouble with 4G on the Three network. Everyday at work to get it back on, I have to do a hard reset by holding the volume & power buttons (was home button & power buttons on previous iPhones). I don't want to keep doing it's it's annoying & I'll never be able to tell how much battery use I'm getting.

But is it bad/damaging to the phone?

2. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    It's not damaging the phone, but your 4G problem needs to be fixed. Have you contacted Apple or Three?

3. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    I filled out a form with Three yesterday but will ring them as well today. It's not just me, there's lots of people online having issues with Three's 4G signal and the new iPhones.

4. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I'm still on a 6S with Three and noticed i got a carrier update in the last couple of weeks. Not sure if you've had it and thats causing the issue or you need to get that. Suspect raising it with Three is the best option.

5. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    I've not had any carrier updates when plugged into iTunes. I'm on Three 25.1. It's very annoying, had to do it twice today.

6. brydo666

brydo666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I received a carrier update this morning, first I've had since the 6S was released.

Also on 25.1 at time of writing, but mines has always been flawless.

7. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Just looking on twitter, I can see lots & lots of people complaining about 4G on Three with the iPhone 7. I just hope Three can sort it and it's not some kind of incompatible problem with iPhone 7.

8. S3rv3d

S3rv3d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    There's a thread on Macrumors regarding Three and 4G on the iPhone 7 if you haven't seen it. Seems like Three are aware and have submitted something to Apple.

Strange thing is my 7+ Silver 128GB was stuck on 3G and wouldn't reconnect to 4G. However the Black 256GB 7+ I got yesterday has been on 4G constantly. But I haven't been anywhere so if I do connect to 3G I don't know if it will reconnect to 4G.

Thread if anyone is interested.
    [UK] iPhone 7 Plus Won't Connect To 4G ;(

9. Idle Bull

Idle Bull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Obviously just holding it wrong. Try using a different hand, that has helped iPhone connectivity in the past :)

10. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    If you've not got anything constructive to say, keep it to yourself.

11. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Didn't know there was a thread on there, I'll check it out, thanks. Mine is a black 256gb plus as well. I don't get a very good signal (3 or 4G) inside my home, so I'm assuming that's why I have to do a reset to get it back on again.

The speed for browsing etc is still ok but nowhere near as good as a proper 4G signal. I'll at least get some kind of money knocked off ny bill from Three!

12. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Tried that didn't work. :D And while I know your comment wasn't contsructive in finding a proper solution, it's funny. It's the stupid comments about being ripped off etc that are unnecessary.

13. Zzebedee

Zzebedee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    Why do people think it's ok to disparage other members of this forum's purchasing choices at every opportunity despite it being nothing to do with the subject being discussed?

(I actually know the answer to this question but I don't want to get banned or cause offence by saying it)

14. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Just spoke to someone at Three who told me to contact Apple who would replace my phone immediately if there was a problem (I bought direct from Apple). He said it was the fault of the phone as it's happening everywhere. He was unaware of Three contacting Apple about the widespread problem.

Yes, it's only affecting the new iPhones, but as it's only a problem with the Three network, I can't see Apple replacing phones because of it. Not that they have stock to do it anyway!

15. u4coffee

u4coffee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Rather than resetting wouldn't switching airplane mode on and off work just as well? Some of my colleagues are doing this to get signal occasionally with their 7's at the moment. No problem with my 6s and we're all using 3 25.1 carrier.

16. JusR23

JusR23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    Silly question but do have a sim from a different carrier that you could pop in just to disprove/prove its the phone or something on Three's end?

17. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    It does seem to be something related to Three users so its either the Three network has an issue with the phone or vice versa. I could be wrong but i think Three run on a slightly different frequency to the others hence why they sometimes struggle with a good signal inside big buildings but whether this is the issue i dont know.

18. S3rv3d

S3rv3d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    It's more than likely just a firmware or carrier problem and easily resolved. There's only reports of Three users having the problem, not other networks, so unlikely defective hardware or something.

I don't understand the negative Apple/iPhone comments from users of other devices and the Android/Samsung crowd. Apple users generally don't care about the others, it always seems to come from the other side bashing Apple. Even Samsung and Microsoft do it to with their marketing to advertise their phones/devices etc. It's sad that they need to do it to get a sale. Who cares, it's a phone. If you don't like the device then why get involved with it. I couldn't tell you anything about the latest Galaxy phone, because I couldn't care less about it. At least when you buy an iPhone its worth more than a loaf of bread in 12 months time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  19. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Tried airplane mode but that didn't work. And unfortunately, I don't have another network sim.

As for comments about Apple products, it's a little childish. I don't care what other products people buy, if they like them, that's all that matters. I respect that others like and buy different products, so others should respect what I like and buy.

20. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Oh and I'm not sure if it was just coincidence or not but the first 2 times I rang Three, I was cut off as soon as I said 'I'm sure you're aware of the iPhone 7 & 4G signal'!

21. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Three have now told me to factory reset my phone. Which I'm quite reluctant to do. I've spent the last 2 days gettting my phone exactly how I like it (I always start from scratch aside from contacts, notes etc on a new phone). And now they want me to wipe it. It was already 'factory reset' when I got it 2 days ago!

22. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
  23. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    I certainly hope not! Last thing I need is to have to replace the phone as getting to an Apple Store is difficult and I'm not sending it away for repair. Especially as I go away in 3 weeks and can't be without a phone.

I've not had issues with a loss of service though.

24. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,714
    You should return it and wait until you know for certain this is fixed. Otherwise you may be stuck with this problem indefinitely.

25. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    And have no phone at all? A bit extreme when it seems to be a Three network problem. And like I said, I go away in 3 weeks. So with delivery times at 3/4 weeks now, I won't have access to maps and other things I'll need from a phone. If the problem does persist, I'll have no choice but I'm covered for 12 months.

26. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Seen on another forum that an update to OS 10.1 improves the EE signal.
    However its only available on beta ATM.

27. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Already on 10.2. Spoke to Three again this morning and the person had no clue about the issue, neither did anyone she spoke to. I told her to look at their own Twitter support page and she claims she still couldn't see any complaints. I don't think she believed me when I said I had in front of me a screen grab of Three acknowledging the problem.

28. Deeez Nuuutz

Deeez Nuuutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    If you keep getting issues then I'd look into returning the phone to the phone to the provider if I were you.

In the mean time I recommend switching on airplane mode then switching off again.

Whenever I lose 4G in an area I know I should get it, if I need it that's what I always do. Beats rebooting the phone mate.

29. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    I read over on Macrumours, someone was told by Three a fix should be coming next week. Airplane mode didn't sort it.

The phone was bought direct from Apple and like I said, I really can't be without a phone.

Since another reset of network settings and update to 10.2 last night, whenever I'm in a 4G area I don't have to mess with the phone for it to work. I'll see how it goes.

30. dts197

dts197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +677
    Came across another thread on Macrumours and there's lots of people on Verizon having the same trouble. And people on T-Mobile over there needed an update to stop their signal problems. So it looks like an iPhone problem.