1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it always the case?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by getdownmonkeyma, May 28, 2005.

1. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That the Philips 32PF9986 is head and shoulders PQ wise over anything at all. Having seen this today in the company of the Hitachi 32LD7200, seemingly sharing the same feed (I couldn't ask anybody abou the setup as they were all busy). The only saving grace is I have never seen the Philips and the Tosh 32WL48 side by side.

Is the Philips really that far ahead of the pack?.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It isn't clear from what you say whether you thought the 9986 was better than the Hitachi? Anyway, the answer is, No, the Philips isn't head and shoulders better than everything else. There are a few TV's out there that come very close. The truth of it is that the 9986 is probably just a little bit better than most others.

The new 9830 is likely to push Philips a bit further ahead, but I assume that some of the others will be imprving too...(Sharp, Panasonic, Sony) Then the Far East budget sets will be banging along not that far behind.

Jimmy

3. jbm

jbm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also didn't understand,
    I actually posted once asking for such a comparison...tell us about it please!

Thanks in advance :thumbsup: ,
    Jorge

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you compare them side by side, there is usually no contest.
    Of course, eyes and brains get accustomed to anything quite quickly. So when you can't afford the Philips, you probably can find something else that will be ok in day-to-day use.

5. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My apologies if I didn't make myself clear. Right, of all the LCD displays the Philips was the only that had a smear free display. One of the panels in the shop was the Hitachi which suffered from motion blur, it was my understanding that the Hitachi could match it with the Philips, on this viewing it was nowhere near.

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I thought that's what you meant! Anyway, to make a comparison worthwhile, TV's need to be fettled fairly exhaustively so that you are getting the best out of them before making a decision on which is best.

Shops are noted for their complete inability to set up TV's properly. The insist on displaying awful feeds on TV's that, at best, have the 'Shop Display' setting as default. This setting is over bright, over sharp and over contrasty. Hellish.

Testing TV's in shops requires you to become a complete pest and insist on being given the Remotes for all the TV's you're interested in then proceeding to bugger about with them all for at least an afternoon! Shop assistants will love you for this. My name is mud in the whole of Dumfries and Galloway.....and Edinburgh...and Carlisle especially.

Having said all of that, the 9986 did indeed win my own personal LCD megatest, but that was over 6 months ago......actually, I'm pretty sure it would still win now!

Jimmy

7. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably one of the only lcd's i've seen that can display analog signal reasonably to good. Lcd's are made for high signal material...nothing else :)