Is it all worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Colin Parker, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Colin Parker

Colin Parker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a new setup: B&W 700's, Rel 200, and Denon 3805. It sounds awesome but I can't help wondering if I made the right choice on the amp. I'll never use:

Video switching
    Room EQ (I think the flatter response when set to off sounds much better)
    Tone control
    DSP simulation
    Multi room.

So of the £900 or so I spent on the amp, how much of the technology I paid for am I actually benifiting from?

Would I be better with just a decoder and power amp? Presumably £900 spent on those two would sound even better.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Going with separates is more expensive. For £900 I don't think you could do it at all new. You could of course go 2nd hand, but then you could have done that with your reciever too and saved a lot of money.

I always recommend 2nd hand on electronics where possible, it typically doubles your buying power.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If your happy with the sound, stop thinking about features which do not impact on you. You have a basis for a good system, enjoy it :thumbsup:

4. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those, and also 7.1 are useles for many, many users. If the sound is pleasing, then it was a good choice. An integrated is of course better choice for a stereosystem.

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +12,073
    But it looks great doesn't it!

I have still got the older 3802, but when I do hopefully upgrade to the 3806/7/8 etc I will never use the video switching, multi room etc. Just happy with what I am using.

Also you say you spent £900 on the 3805. :eek: Don't want to upset you but it is £800 on the net.