Is it actually worth using TV recording facility?

Turnbullissimo

Novice Member
So I had a couple of TV recorders for years and tbh well past sell by date. I keeping them for the amount of movies etc Ive got on them. For the first time I tried an alternative on my Toshiba TV by using a flash drive to access the recording facility. I did a test and it seemed OK. I then ordered a new larger size pen drive and discovered its formats of NTFS and exfat were no use for recording and the TV did not ask if I wanted to format. Trying to format on Windows is not possible.
Even if you do convert to fat32 using an outside programme, I gather it will only record in packets of 4gb.
So, is the TV recording feature just not really a suitable replacement for a proper recording box?
Plus even if you did record stuff would it be compatible with, say, another TV?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
An external USB HDD is more suitable for recording than a USB stick.
Correct, recordings made from the TV can only be played back on that TV and you cannot watch one, record a different one unless your TV has dual tuners.
A separate PVR is still best for recording.

Turnbullissimo

Novice Member
An external USB HDD is more suitable for recording than a USB stick.
Correct, recordings made from the TV can only be played back on that TV and you cannot watch one, record a different one unless your TV has dual tuners.
A separate PVR is still best for recording.
Yes im thinking so. Any budget priced recommendations?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom