• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is it actually an improvement?

corgi74

Established Member
I've got a Samsung UE49KS7500 which I've had for nearly 2 years now. I recently had the screen replaced and overall I'm happy with it. From my understanding it was the bottom of the top range 2017 Samsungs.

I've come in to a bit of money and was toying with the idea of getting a bigger screen (55") and my budget is £600 but I don't know if I'd actually be downgrading HDR quality for the sake of a few extra inches. The Samsung comes in at 1000 nits and from my understanding TVs in that price range won't come anywhere near.

Is it worth changing at the moment and if so what TVs would you recommend please?

Thanks

sagaris99

Prominent Member
Thought as much. Anything if I went up to £800? I mainly watch normal TV, Netflix and 4K movies on Apple TV
Sasmung NU8000 is probably the best sub-£800 option, but won't be leaps and bounds ahead of your KS.

Arguably you'd only see a different with TV's lie the Sony 55 XF90 and the LG 55 B8.... arguably the OLED LG may give you more contrast and better blacks, but again, won't be leaps and bounds ahead.

corgi74

Established Member
The NU8000 is the one I've been looking at. So is a 2018 mid range as good or slightly better than a 2016 low high end.
Think I need to see one

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Your KS will be better than most even around £800. It has better colours for 4K/hdr content.

Where the NU @sagaris99 mentions is better is with gaming. But besides that they’re either the same or very similar.

corgi74

Established Member
Yup, you can't beat your current TV for that much. besides I would want to save up for the largest model you can get also. 55" is not big for UHD standards, 65" is even on the small side..

65" not an option unfortunately due to space constraints . I have just bought a 55" B8 though. New open box from Hughes for £890.
That should be an improvement

corgi74

Established Member
that should be a nice gain, good deal!

Thanks mate. Wouldn't have normally gone for a "new other". But I live up the road from the Hughes head office and they're a really reputable company.

Before I ask in the OLED group does anyone now about it's PVR features? Can you record one channel while watching another?

Dodgexander

Before I ask in the OLED group does anyone now about it's PVR features? Can you record one channel while watching another?
You can, it has dual tuners. You need external storage though in the form of a USB HDD or large USB flash drive.

corgi74

Established Member
You can, it has dual tuners. You need external storage though in the form of a USB HDD or large USB flash drive.

thank you. Both off the aerial or would it have to be one satellite and one aerial? The wife still hates me for getting rid of our PVR and telling her to use catch up.

Dodgexander

Both off a single aerial, just the same as a PVR.

Recording still has its uses unfortunately, watching Coronation Street on the ITV player is not an enjoyable experience compared to the quality of the broadcasts.

I wish the channels would start offering higher quality catchup TV, even Eastenders on the iPlayer at 720p looks a lot worse than the broadcast. Having most catchup TV in awful quality is terrible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom