Is it a good time to be buying?

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been doing extensive research for a LCD around the 40/42" size that has the spec that will last me for the next 3 years or so for around £15000-£1700.

After reading loads of very informative threads on this excellent forum I am at an impass.

There seems to be many things good and bad with each LCD - now I know nothing is perfect, but I am starting to wonder whether I should hold off for a little bit longer and see what comes out/gets fixed?

What do people think - is this a good time or a bad time to be in the market?

I know its a classic case of 'there will always be a better one in a couple of months' but given what's out there in the market vs value for money - is this a good time or will we see prices drop significantly/LCD improve significantly in the near future?

I thought that way two years ago and have still not bought anything. I've been looking again recently and still feel the same way. I think the problem is we're dealing with two imperfect technologies, LCD and Plasma. Both have their upsides and downsides. Essentially the LCD market is attempting in a rather successful way to sell consumers TVs with specifications and facilities to do things that they won't be able to do for another 6 years..i.e. 1080p. You could hold off until SED comes out which will knock both LCD and Plasma off the planet. However you will be waiting until 2008.

Essentially my advice is buy a TV for what you want it for not for what you might be able to do with it in 6 years time. Also I do think that a lot of people on this forum have a little too much time on their hands to tinker around with all the LCD parameters ad finitum!

Good luck

Richard

I thought that way two years ago and have still not bought anything. I've been looking again recently and still feel the same way. I think the problem is we're dealing with two imperfect technologies, LCD and Plasma. Both have their upsides and downsides. Essentially the LCD market is attempting in a rather successful way to sell consumers TVs with specifications and facilities to do things that they won't be able to do for another 6 years..i.e. 1080p. You could hold off until SED comes out which will knock both LCD and Plasma off the planet. However you will be waiting until 2008.

Essentially my advice is buy a TV for what you want it for not for what you might be able to do with it in 6 years time. Also I do think that a lot of people on this forum have a little too much time on their hands to tinker around with all the LCD parameters ad finitum!

Good luck

Richard

Feel like I've read all this before:suicide:

the miracles of cut and paste:rotfl:

anyway... some hopefully useful advice:

list what you need and will use now (inputs spec etc.)
list what you know you will need in near future.

check off your options against the lists.then whichever set best fits, decide if the things that it doesn't do or aren't quite up to your expectations are things you can compromise on. If not then your need probably isn't that great and you may as well keep the money in the bank.

next years models will make slight improvements on this years, either the perfect set will be out by then or your need will eventually increase to point you will be willing to compromise to choose the best option for you. only at this point will you actually end up buying one.

certainly wouldn't loose any sleep about it and wouldn't recommend you go and buy something when you're not sure because someone on the internet told you to. its your cash and your choice..... good luck ;)

Good advice guys, thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom